PDA

View Full Version : Blue eyes?

Blue eyes?

chris_almere20
08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi there, im new to owning (corn) snakes.
but today one of my snakes was acting weird,
he stayed in his hideout for about 24 hours, and he ''rattled'' his tail when my hand got close, he normally never does this.
And his eyes have a white blue glaze (see picture).

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1044/20110826210716y.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/20110826210716y.jpg/)

And this sunday its feeding time again. this snake does alow handling at this point, but not when hes in his hideout. so should i try to give him something? and should i give him a small or a slightly larger pinky?

Cutting the pinky in half is not a option because i have 2 snakes in 1 cage.
My theory is that a snake might eat another because he smells like prey.
for this reason i dont allow them to wrap their prey just yet.

so can i move him to his feeding cage to feed him or let him skip a meal?

Thanks in advance

AliCat37
08-26-2011, 03:48 PM
He is in shed, I personally do not feed mine when they are going to shed as they cannot see. I also avoid handling until they have shed. I also would get another tank and separate your snakes, it's a huge risk and stress factor to them. By wrap their prey I assume you mean constrict? Usually when feeding f/t they won't constrict, you can't really control whether or not they do either. Housing the two snakes together is always going to be a risk, you may very well find yourself with a single very fat snake someday.

Naagas
08-26-2011, 04:01 PM
That is a perfect picture of being 'in blue'. Do a search for shedding on this site.

Your snake will clear up, looking normal again, then a few days later will shed.

They usually hide the whole time that they are in blue and sometimes refuse to eat. The snake will rattle its tail because it is blind when its eyes are glazed over like that.

Having two snakes in one cage is of course a risk and can lead to feeding problems due to stress. That might be something to keep an eye on in the future. Sounds like you are doing good by feeding them separately at least.

You can wash your snakes after they eat so that they don't smell like prey. Sounds like a big bother though.... glad I don't have to worry about my snakes eating each other.

Janome
08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
He is either going into or clearing up from a shed cycle. Best to not feed till after he sheds. Do not worry...missing a meal during a shed cycle is very common an recommended to not feed at this time anyways. I agree with other post...should not house more then 1 in an enclosure.

Just a side note....if you have a male / female together they will eventually mate an lay eggs.