PDA

View Full Version : How Long Can a Hatchling Last on Tails?

How Long Can a Hatchling Last on Tails?

Druanery
08-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I've recently gained an anery corn hatchling (thirteen weeks now) who only ate one pinky before refusing to eat anything but tails, usually forcefed, although he ate one by himself when left overnight with it. He completely ignores pinkies - even when brained or given just a head.

My concern is... if he only continues to eat tails, will this do him harm, and how long will he last on such a diet?

Thanks!

bitsy
09-01-2011, 03:30 AM
If you look at the top of the Feeding section, there's a stickied post that includes a raft of tips and tricks to try for stubborn non-feeders.

My favourite to try first is putting it in a small container with the pinky (such as the brown bag that anarch suggests, or a cricket tub), putting the bag/tub back in the usual tank and leaving it overnight again. Some are nervous eaters and need complete dark and quiet before they feel comfortable enough to eat. They may also need to be in a confined space with the food, before realising that it's there/edible.

There are many factors which influence whether a hatchling will or will not eat. These might include over-handling of a new arrival, but can also be due to environmental factors, husbandry or - as seems most usual - a failure of the natural feeding instinct to either kick in at all, or to fail after apparently being OK.

Check the basic temperatures at floor level, with a digital thermometer (the plastic dial and cardboard strip types can be 20 degrees wrong in either direction, in my experience). Too warm or too cool can cause problems with digestion and may put the snake off eating. This type of problem is actually the easiest to fix!

There are plenty of ideas to try out in the stickied post - please let us know how it goes.

Druanery
09-01-2011, 06:28 AM
I do fear I overhandled him, although I have since mostly left him alone. I've tried the leaving overnight trick several times. The keeper told me all of the corns were eating fine until the move from one shop to another, at which point he only ate tails when made to - but I haven't personally forcefed him myself. He doesn't show any interest in striking the food, or in pinkies when left in overnight - even when we just left him with the head. He did, however, eat a tail by himself when left with that and a pinkie overnight. I was just fearful that tails wouldn't be good enough for him to last on until the natural feeding response kicks in (like it did for my bf's runt of his clutch last time, although it took a fair amount of time)... Part of me worries it won't kick in! I'm trying out the various tips though, and shall let you know if they work for him.
Thanks for the advice :)

AliCat37
09-01-2011, 02:00 PM
How often are you offering him food? Make sure not to offer him food more than every 5 days. If you offer food too many times in a row it can cause stress and lead them to associating food with stress, therefore not wanting to eat it.

Druanery
09-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Every five days? I'll try. I've been trying him every four days, but leaving him alone apart from that. Thanks ^^

Farmgirl
09-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I am not experienced in any of this yet, but what if you try to move up to just a "leg", like the back leg. It would at the very least be "meatier"

Druanery
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately, though we tried our best, Druan died a few days ago. Thanks for the advice guys, I guess it's just one of those things :(

Dreamsnake
09-13-2011, 09:19 AM
My first corn died as hatchling too. Sometimes they just don't have the proper parts to survive. I hope you keep trying at this hobby, clean out the tank and supplies with bleach a few times before putting a new snake in on the off chance it was a parasite or infection that caused his condition.

Farmgirl
09-13-2011, 03:36 PM
sorry to hear of your loss. Dreamsnake is right though, clean out your setup and get another snake. My hatchling is doing well, so maybe it was just a "survival of the fittest" in your baby's situation.

Druanery
09-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I shall try again, but I will wait for the snake that catches my eye. This time I'll definitely make sure to check feeding records and get an easier one as well. Thanks :)