PDA

View Full Version : Skittles escaped again....

Skittles escaped again....

Shelliebear
09-02-2011, 05:19 AM
And I can't find him.
None of my snakes have ever escaped while in their tanks except for Madison (a ball python) and that was before we had screen clips for her tank.
Skittles is ridiculous. He's worse than the dog who keeps digging under the fence in the backyard and running away. He escaped from my old house and was gone for 1-3 days while we were moving to the apartment.
I found him not 4 feet from the tank, in the closet his tank was in.
Then he escaped at the apartment, was maybe 1 foot from the tank in a box full of stuff from the house.
Now, i have purchased clips for his tank, and he has STILL GOTTEN OUT. I cannot figure out how he is doing this; I've seen him climb up to the lid of his tank, and he is only a baby 25 gram corn snake, in a 10 gallon tank. but I never thought he could push out of the lid with screen clips locking it down tight.
I don't know how to stop this from happening, and I don't think I'm going to find him this time. I've torn up my room and surrounding rooms; I've sat in my room and listened, hoping I might hear him scratch around in a box or on the carpet, or against a wall; nothing. He is gone, and the last time my sister checked on him was yesterday.
It's tricky with Skittles because my sister says she wants a corn snake, so I let her practice taking care of Skittles sometimes. My little brother also holds Skittles occasionally. I don't know if somebody is perhaps not doing the locks right, though I showed everyone how and had them practice; I don't know how often people have checked on him, or if I should just check on him 18 times a day regardless, and be paranoid; I don't know what to do.
My baby is gone, possibly dead (we have a cat and a dog), and it's my fault, all my fault.
I led him to his death. I wasn't a good mother, and he escaped and he's gone. If I ever go to hell, it will be for letting that innocent, sweet precious snake escape while in my care. With my luck I'll not find him, ever.
I hope to God he didn't get outside, because the people in the apartments are terrified of snakes, and one lady says she killed her brother's boa when it escaped from its tank, and she'd kill any other snake she found.
Skittles, please come back. I cry every minute I'm without you. PLEASE!
Anyone have advice? I've looked everywhere...EVERYWHERE....the hard part is most of the apartment is boxes because we just moved in a month ago.
I don't know what to do. I really kind of want to just curl up and die.
My baby is gone.
I am a failure.

Shelliebear
09-02-2011, 05:20 AM
I swear if he comes back I'll go to church every Sunday. (Does God read cornsnake forums?)

RepLover1022
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't beat yourself up so much. Sh!t happens. Yeah a lot of it can be preventable but it still happens.....when u find him, maybe try adding a couple books to the top and let this be a lesson to the siblings how important it is to make sure the clips are on correct no matter how big of a hurry someone Is in. If this is the worse you've done all your life, I'm pretty sure your not going to go to hell. Oh yeah, and crying won't help find Skittles. Try a hot mouse in the closet and lay down and try to take a nap.

Shelliebear
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh my god! I FOUND HIM!
My whole family is amazing; my parents may not love the snakes like I do, but everybody pitched in and helped tear up the house looking for him.
He was across the hall from the room he had been kept in, in a corner next to a bookcase. We had looked there no less than 6 times, but good thing we double checked, because he was there! I could hardly believe it when I saw his little face. :)
Now, he is GROUNDED! There's a couple of pounds worth of Harry Potter books on his tank, in addition to his cage clips.
Phew!

Nanners
09-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I know that you are one relieved mother! Now you can breath again!