PDA

View Full Version : hatchlings not eating

hatchlings not eating

4riscorn
09-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Our babies hatched out on 7/7 (first group) and 7/24 (second group) and out of the 21 we have 6 that won't eat at all. We have tried cutting the mice, which I make sure are extra hot, cutting the heads off and just trying to feed the heads and leaving them overnight. I do put them in small deli cups with the mouse and cover with a towel and in a dark room. We haven't tried live yet because finding an extra small pinkie for a 7 gram hatchling is hard to find around here. What if the live mouse is too big? And any other suggestions? I know some are just doomed anyway but 2 of these are our special hold backs...

AliCat37
09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I have the same problem with one of my hatchlings from 6/14. I just kept offering the whole clutch food in the same manner you are (slit pinks overnight) and 11/12 of them started eating that way, some of them took until the end of July to really start eating. That being said, I have one left that needs a little assistance. I tried assist feeding him but that did not work. Have you tried tube feeding? I personally have not tried this, but I know that it is recommended often by others. For my stubborn guy, I actually gave him pinkie tails and legs by opening his mouth and putting them in there for him, and he actually swallowed them!

BloodyBaroness
09-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Gini have you tried lizard scenting?

4riscorn
09-02-2011, 01:46 PM
No I have never done that...how do u do that?

Farmgirl
09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I think it when you go catch a lizzard and rub the pinkie with the lizzard to make it "smell" like one.

4riscorn
09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I have crested geckos. Would that be wrong to do to them?

BloodyBaroness
09-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Ha, never tried "crestie" scenting. It might be worth a try.

For lizards scenting I run the pinkie around on the body of the lizard before offering it the babies. If you can get the lizards to bite the pinkie and get saliva on there that is even better.