PDA

View Full Version : Pet Store Snakes.

Pet Store Snakes.

HeadSetJones
09-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey, I know pet stores are really the last place to get pets from but I saw a really cute fellow there and I see him every Thursday when I go. He's very interested in me. I place my finger on the screen top and he always goes up to the top to smell me. I was wondering if I bought him, what are some possible problems I could run into? He's not actually a corn, he's a rat snake. The actual name of the type of rat snake escapes me but he's black with white stripes. :bounce:

HeadSetJones
09-02-2011, 11:33 PM
If anything It'd be like me rescuing him from the pet store. Only down side would be I'd be a part of the problem in a way by supporting them. I guess it's really a moral choice.

Firefur
09-03-2011, 12:50 AM
do some looking into the store's history. find out if they have any prior issues with their reptiles. it depends on the store and the staff ask a lot of questions. good luck

Dreamsnake
09-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I got all of my snakes from different pet stores. My anery has a problem with digestion and has had 4 regurges, she came from petco and I will never get another one from there. The other petco snake died within the first year. The ball python was a retired breeder from a privately owned reptile/exotic fish establishment. I may return there someday. The last corn came from another small business shop and was locally bred. I would like to go back and tell the owner how supremely happy this snake has made me.

It is ultimately up to you, not every pet store is a bad experience. If you like the snake and can afford him, then go for it. Ask about any return policy before hand.

VickyChaiTea
09-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Problems that could come from buying a snake from a pet store:
Possible non-feeder, could lead to starvation
No medical records, could be ill
A LOT of stores don't keep records of snake feedings
It could have regurged and no one would know, stores don't usually keep track of that stuff.

Personally, I'd never recommend buying a snake unless there was a feeding and weight records kept for it. That being said, some stores are great and carry healthy snakes. Just ask a TON of questions about the snake and give it a good inspection, listen for a respiratory infection, make sure it's a good weight, not dehydrated, etc.

Oh, and DONT BUY A SICK SNAKE. It's not a rescue, it's a sympathy purchase and it does no good. If someone buys a sick animals from a store.. they PAID the store to neglect an animal and made space for another. If you do see a sick animal, demand it be free or severely discounted. If not, walk away.

AliCat37
09-03-2011, 02:51 AM
I have heard a lot of bad about petco snakes, I have also seen a lot of bad with petsmart snakes. I'm not sure what petstore you're thinking of using, I'm just naming big chain stores (we have a small local pet store here that is AWFUL. Every reptile is crawling with mites..). I got my old kingsnake from petsmart (paid WAY too much), she was wonderful (she just had the bad cali king habit of trying to eat me). I would definitely ask them to feed it in front of you to make sure it eats. Keep it quarantined to avoid disease transfer, and even go so far as to get a fecal done on it.

Kona's Daddy
09-03-2011, 08:01 AM
I've purchased two corns from petstores this year. Two different Petco shops, to be specific.

My Miami Phase came from one, and she's docile as all get out, and eats like a champ. Has shed 3 times, eaten 15 meals, and loves "quality time" on the couch with me.

My second was the neon/flourescent/amel/reverse okeetee/mystery monster from another Petco. Cappy just had his 8th meal and 2nd shed. I think he's a bit of a trouble maker, and LOVES to empty his water dish as soon as the lights go out. Fairly sure he curls up in it and thrashes around, just to see how empty he can make it.

Long story short...I've had fantastic luck with them both. That said...the first go around I had with reptiles (owned 10 at one time), a few that I bought had health issues and puking problems. Back then, I knew very little about keeping snakes, and didn't really know what to look for when picking one out.

As long as you check them out fully before you buy, and as long as you go with your gut feeling on health, you should be fine.

Just an opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Mark

rosewood
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
My first snake, Sunny who I still own, I purchased from a pet store when I was in my early teens. I have never had a single problem with her and am very happy. However knowing what I know now about that pet store I am extremely lucky that she never had an issue. They treat their animals quite poorly and often have huge problems with mites and respiratory infections....guess thats why they are out of business now, thank god! Sooooooo many horror stories!

starsevol
09-03-2011, 01:05 PM
One way to look at it is like this....
snakes are living art. Just look at them!!
If you were to buy art for your living room wall, would you buy mass produced prints available at Walmart, or would you go to an artist who puts their heart and soul into each and every piece?

Rdoyle
09-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I got my frist one at petco, never had a problem with him, I did rehome him becouse I was scared to handle him becouse of him beening soo small. Also the petco I got to the ppl who take care of the reptile know about how to take care of them. Just check out the snake.

chris68
09-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Really depends on the store; you'll "generally" have better luck with a mom and pop type place vs. a chain store. PetCo's and PetSmarts's buy from huge wholesalers whereas the smaller private owned shop tend to buy locally when they can.

I will say the Village Pet Shoppe in Hanover PA has some really nice corn morphs ;)

HeadSetJones
09-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Haha, I know that store Chris. :P Here is a video of the place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5zHkzmSpA I think I'll just wait till repticon like the original plan. I might buy my snake food there though. Thanks for the input guys. You all rule!

chris68
09-04-2011, 11:08 AM
HeadSet wrong "Village Pet Shoppe" ;)...The one in GA is the first "Village Pet Shoppe" to come up on Google, the local one here is http://www.villagepetshoppe.com/

Dreamsnake
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
The next snake I get will be ordered from a breeder. I just got my first feeder order so I'm a bit more trusting of shipments. I wish I could go to a reptile show, but my state rarely ever has them.

chris68
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
The next snake I get will be ordered from a breeder.

Makes it a heck of a lot easier to pinpoint an animal that has any or all the combinations of genetics you are looking for, for sure :)

toxiclight
09-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Three of our snakes came from pet stores, the others from breeders or individuals. Honestly, a lot falls to the individual pet store and the quality of its employees.

But when I say pet store, ours is a mom-and-pop type place, locally owned and operated, and we have discussed snake husbandry many times with the reptile manager (he also breeds mice for the store feeders, and sells to us privately whenever we need mice for our bunch). He purchases most of their stock from local breeders, and each came with feed records (plus, he offered to exchange them if they turned out to be the wrong gender or I was dissatisfied in any way as it matured)

But we had a long-standing relationship with that particular pet store long before I bought my snakes from there, and know that I can trust the staff.