PDA

View Full Version : When to really start worrying?

When to really start worrying?

joann42
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Okay so Ive gotten almost everyone feeding regularly out of this batch of nonfeeders.But the one Ultramel is being soooo stubborn.She ate once for me in the last 7 weeks.It was in a delicup over night with a live pink.She will not eat this way again.So I have tried the paperbag thing.The braining, the tuna juice, the chicken broth.Ive tried feeding in her bin and she just runs away from the pink.
Should I try and get anole and kill it this time and rub it all over the pink, Ive heard this is a sure thing?

I now have another nonfeeder that my friend picked up at an expo (thanks, like I need another)..But Ive only had her a little over a week so "officially" I havent tried but a live pink with her so far..

reddragon087
09-12-2011, 09:03 PM
What are her temperatures at?
Is she getting ready to shed?
Has she pooed since you've had her...could be backed up?
Have you tried live?

I didn't think mine would eat when I first got him, I let the pinkie thaw out and then dangled it in front of him with a pair of tweezers. He seemed uneasy at first but went right after it.

joann42
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Actually she has pooped.Didnt think she'd have anything to poop but she did twice.
She is not in shed and she is kept like the rest in a shoebox bin sitting on a strip of flexwatt at the back part set to 85.The room is warm and always stays in the upper 70's.

reddragon087
09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Could be since she is in a shoe box (and not saying this to sound mean) but she could be stressed out. Not having a variation of day light and night light. Have you had a fecal check?

joann42
09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
These are clear plastic bins(sterilite), they have a perfect day night, cycle.She was in a batch of nonfeeders that I was given and out of 7 she is the only one still not eating right.(aside from the newbie I just got).

reddragon087
09-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Have you had a fecal done? She could have an intestinal problem or something and that may be causing her to not eat? Just throwing out ideas.

Dreamsnake
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
She may be too hot. I have one snake that likes to be at a high of 80. Can you use a lizard to rub the pinks without killing it first?

joann42
09-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I actually did try moving her over to a shelf off the heat.I didnt seem to make a difference.
I'm going to have to go get another anole, maybe I can get my son to catch a skink and we can take the tip of its tail or something.I did have an anole about a month ago with the intention of using it to scent the pink.But it was so cute and green I gave to my friend as a pet.Ive read you have to really get the scent on the pink, no playing nice so I may have to do what it takes.I just hate the thought of killing it and then it doesnt work.

Dreamsnake
09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
There may just be a physical problem with her. I had a rabbit once starve itself to death. I tried to force feed it; it fought me the whole time.

Even if you get her to eat now she may refuse on you next time. Good luck with everything.

joann42
09-13-2011, 01:08 PM
For every meal I get into her I will feel better though.She is active and alert, not like the little amel that had the injuries.She is a decent weight but still small at 8 grams.I just dont get what the problem is.

What if I change her cage.I put her on a more natural type setting? Like eco earth and leaves or something..IDK Im grasping at things now.

lambert6921
09-13-2011, 02:35 PM
I've heard that a sure way to get a problem feeder to eat, as horrible as this sounds, is to brain the anole with a toothpick or simiular and then rub a little on the pinkies nose. never had to do this my self thankfully. hope this can help.