PDA

View Full Version : Sand boas

Sand boas

Celestine8
04-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, Eden's out growing his/her viv and I will have a 10 gallon free which means a.) I get Eden sexed and pick out a corn of the opposite sex to go with my odd-looking little ghost ( I gotta get pics) or... I finally get a sand boa. I realized that I really wanted to own snakes when I held a sand boa for the first time. Cute and fat and so tame.... *ahem*. I know this is a corn snake site, but does anyone here breed sand boas and is expecting hatchlings soon? Thanks

kenster
04-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I have 1.2 kenyans right now, and should have another .2 here by the end of the week if all goes well. Mine are all 03's and seem to grow every day! If you are looking for some I know i can get my hands on some anery's het snow that are 03's as well with the genetics that they carry they are a little bit more costly than normals but hey you will get anerys, albinos, and snows when you breed them. The only problem would be getting them to you. I'm about a 2 hour drive from London Ont. Simon has been to my house a few times to pick up snakes that he gets shipped to me, so he would know better how long it would take. If that sounds like something you would be interested in let me know...

Celestine8
04-29-2004, 10:46 AM
I would be very interested, but the only problem is that I could not get the snake from you for another three weeks :(. So, I'll understand if you don't have a sand boa available at that time. Just out of curiousity how much would your hatchlings be and how much would your anery be?

fateamber
04-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Everyone should get a sand boa :D I have one, but I don't get him out much, he is usually ok to handle, but I think he gets stressed easily. They are kewl little snakes.

kenster
04-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I sent you prices via e-mail

Elaphe_Mo
04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Everyone should get a sand boa

:D

I agree, they are awesome little snakes. If you want a regular feeder, try to get a female (or any johnii ), the males of most sand boas tend to go off food for a while every year.

MegF.
04-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I think once mature, corn males do as well.

Celestine8
04-30-2004, 10:12 AM
The email seems to be on vacation or something, I didn't get it.

kenster
04-30-2004, 05:36 PM
ok check your PM box:D

Celestine8
04-30-2004, 06:11 PM
One question that everyone else seems to avoid though, are kenyans very active?

rolph1414
04-30-2004, 08:03 PM
I have 4 corns..

2 ROSY BOAS

THE MALE WILL NOT EAT!! IT HAS BEEN 2 MONTHS AT LEAST!!!

IS THIS NORMAL?

my friend has two kenyans and the one that is supposed to be the female will not eat?

Any suggestions???

MegF.
04-30-2004, 08:05 PM
If it's an adult and male, I'm sure it's just like the corns. It's in love. If not, it might not be well.

Taceas
05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
I'd never even heard of a Kenyan Sand Boa until not too long ago. They sounded pretty neat from everything I had researched on them.

So when I was browsing at my local pet store (Harps, for those in the area) they had a couple of them in. A female and a male.

The male was in the blue phase was really ticked off at having his box moved. So I handled the female, and she went from squirming in the employee's hand to totally calming down in mine.

So needless to say, she went home with me that day. Not bad for $50, eh? She's a 2003 hatchling, and hasn't missed a meal since hatching. She even ate for me on Monday.

Fellow Corn-snakers...meet Nairobi:

http://www.mainecoon.net/~rain/Snakes/MiscSnakes/Nairobi.jpg

They're pretty "cute" critters if I do say so myself. =D

MegF.
05-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Cute snake, and nice color.

kenster
05-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Cute little girl you got there. But you know you won't be happy with just one, so when do you go back for the male?;)

$50 isn't bad for pet shop prices, latley I have seen normals for 50-75 each from private breeders. My "small" colony is growing quite nicley, and for once I'm female heavy, and I won't complain about that!

And the better question, when do you start the collection of anery's, albinos, and snow kenyans;)

Taceas
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Meg: Thanks for the compliment, I think she's cute too. =D

Kenster: SHHH. =P

Care to share any? ;)

Well, that'll happen when I can find some in my area. Which this is the first time I've seen them at this store, and they usually have a pretty decent selection.

The male was her brother, so I didn't think it proper to breed them together. I try to shy away from that for the most part.

One of the employees that works there bought a rather "fat" female at a reptile show, and after a month of having her she went to feed her and found 36 little babies in the enclosure. So she's selling them off in small quantities.

I honestly have no clue how old this one is, but the first feed date on her card is mid-October.

One question, what do you house yours on? Right now she's on paper towel, but she doesn't seem to feel very secure with that. I was thinking of switching to aspen as it'd give her that closeness feeling I've heard they prefer. I don't intend on using sand at all.

Feel free to share pics of yours, either on here or you can e-mail me at: md_lundberg@earthlink.net

kenster
05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Hmm let me think about sharing mine....umm nope gonna have to pass on that one:D

I keep mine on aspen or rather in aspen as I never see them unless it's feeding day. The thing that i love about them is the fact they stay so small and you can house a trio or more in a fairly small enclosure.

My ever growing colony consists of a male anery het snow (female het snow will be added very soon), 3 normal females, and a female black and white which has an odd coloration to her. I'll have to get pics, I'm not a good "dad" I don't have pics of all my babies. Although now I'll have to get them to show them off.

On a decent feeding schedule you can get your female up to breeding size in about 16-18 months. So You'll be able to get a bunch of baby "worms" in no time at all...I must warn you though they are as adictive as corns...you have been warned;)

Taceas
05-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Aww. When do you expect babies from yours?

And its funny you should call them worms. When I asked the group of employees if I could see them..4 of the 5 said "nuh uh, I ain't handling them worms". =P

I hope they are addictive. =D

kenster
05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
it will be awhile before mine have babies. All of mine are early 03's or mid 03's and a few late 03's. The smallest of mine are eating 2-3 pinks a week. Where as the biggest is taking the biggest fuzzy I can find. The only problem I have found is getting them to take frozen thawed. All mine want live, which I don't mind feeding at this size but once they get bigger I want to switch over before the mice can actually "fight back"

A good friend of mine in Arkansas told me I was crazy for spending money on snakes so small, he says he has fished with bigger night crawlers...

If things go right I should have a few 04's with in a month or so that are up for sale. They will be anery's het albino and anerys het snows. They will be coming from a good friend of mine here, oh thats right you are a member on his forum as well and you voted for Terri in last months contest:p Just had to throw that in and give you a hard time;)

Taceas
05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
LOL, you're too funny. Must be that lake effect stuff. ;)

I vote for people I know and have met in person. Nothing personal.

That's cool. I've seen pics of the Snows on Alex's site. But I've not seen the albinos or anery's. Got any pics? =P

kenster
05-06-2004, 11:37 PM
oh sure vote for those you know...I see how it is;)

If I remember correctly Alex has pic of snows and albinos on his site right now if you click on the boa section. Let me think if he has an anery pic on there somewhere if not I'll have to get some of mine of the weekend.

Oh if you click on his gallery section and then on boas there are pics of the anery's

Taceas
05-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Danke schön. I'll take a look at them real quick.

Mine was on a diet of f/t or live. I didn't have any pinkie-pinkies so she got a pink that was just developing fuzz, but it was live. How often do you feed yours? Looks like mine was fed once every week. But I just fed her on Monday and already looks like she's not eaten anything.

I tend to feed most of my younger snakes live now anyway. I reserve pre-killed or f/t for my older snakes as the size of the prey increases. Its just more convenient for me to feed live and have had better results over all.

I'm still pretty excited that I actually have a snake that isn't a corn snake. Sure corn snakes are fine and dandy, but its nice to spread out into a different area.

I've tried two BP's and both ended with disastrous results. One died days after arriving..and another lasted 2 weeks and caused some sort of injury to itself while I was out of town and had to be euthanized. Maybe I'll try them once again when I can have an enclosure that works well for BPs, preferably something that holds humidity.

But so far a sand boa fits the bill of what I'm looking for. Something that doesn't get monstrously huge and isn't in the least bit aggressive, and has a pretty good common husbandry range (not too complicated).

rolph1414
05-07-2004, 12:04 AM
I have two rosy boas that I mentioned. Having difficulties with the male eating...

I was holding a full grown adult at the reptile store when it latched on to me...bled pretty good!

Didn;t hurt!!

kenster
05-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Mine get fed once a week. I agree you can't beat housing these little guys. I have one BP that was my first snake and that is it for BP's for me! Due to the fact that I no longer raise mice, going out every week to find live is getting to be a pain in well you know;) Luckily the pet stores around here have quite a collection of mice so they always have pinks and fuzzies.

Other than my corns I really like my albino nelsoni they are as "simple" as corns and look mighty good too.

Rolph, I too have rosy boas great little snakes. They are white water local and I bought them as het albino. I'm hoping that they have babies this season for me. How long has it been since the male ate? I have been bit by a female rosy and you're right it doesn't hurt all that much but boy did it bleed. That reminds me I still owe Simon for that one;)

Taceas
05-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Ken,

I took a look at the anery sand boas, they're adorable! They look like cows that got squeezed out through a Play-Doh factory. =D

And I also took a look at your website, that one adult female nelsoni you have needs sunglasses in order to be seen. That's an awesome snake. :cheers:

kenster
05-07-2004, 12:36 AM
If I had to pick my favorite it would be the anery sand boas. The black on white looks awesome, and oh so bright just out of shed.

Thanks for the compliments. If only the adult pair would get in the mood and give me some eggs. I have a trio of 02's that i'm trying to get up to size as well. So I'll be able to offer unrealted pairs in a few seasons. and I know you'll want some:cheers:

kenster
05-10-2004, 11:39 PM
ok here are a few pics of my sands...

http://www.kenssnakes.com/kenyan.jpg

http://www.kenssnakes.com/kenyan1.jpg

kenster
05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
and the some more;)

http://www.kenssnakes.com/kenyan2.jpg

http://www.kenssnakes.com/kenyan3.jpg

kenster
05-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok all those were females, and here is the male anery het snow..

http://www.kenssnakes.com/kenyan4.jpg

The female anery het snow should be here soon, although i should wait and see if gas prices drop before i drive across the state to get her