PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to check for a respiratory infection?

What is the best way to check for a respiratory infection?

legitimatehypnotist
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think any of my snakes are ill at all, and none have ever even had a health issue, but I'd like to know for future reference what, besides watching for mucus or discharge around the nostrils or mouth, is the best way to check for a respiratory infection? I figured I would just ask since you guys seem to have seen it all by now, haha.
Winter is coming and I'd like to know all I can possibly know, just in case. We have really freezing winters here, and if the snakes lungs are as fragile as mine, then this is information I should probably write on down in the snake journal :)

Any advice?

bitsy
09-18-2011, 04:32 PM
You can sometimes hear a clicking or wheezing noise as they breathe. However, don't diagnose RI based solely on this one symptom, as it can also happen just before a shed. The skin loosens around the nostrils first, causing irritation. The issue clears up as soon as the shed is finished.

legitimatehypnotist
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Right, excellent. So I'll just write down that I should be listening for wheezing ALONG WITH watching for any mucus discharge around the mouth/nostrils.
I have a snake vet, of course, but I like to know all I can possibly know, especially since right now, it's looking like it's about to be an extremely cold winter. Even though my snakes are in great health right now, I want to be prepared for anything.
Thank you!

bitsy
09-19-2011, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't sweat it. As long as you have the proper heating setup in your Corn's tank, the ambient air temp (either inside or outside your home) will never be a problem. Your Corn will always have the correct temps.

jasonb
09-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I had a big, ugly wild caught black/yellow hybrid with pneumonia once and he was actually breathing through his mouth. So wheezing, stuffy nose and mouth breathing would be pretty good clues.

legitimatehypnotist
09-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Thank you. I'm not really all that worried at all, I just figured this is something I should know, especially this time of year. And trust me, the heating setup is great and like I said, they've never had any health issues. It better be great with all the trouble they gave me, haha. I had to go buy a second freaking thermostat because my hatchling and my yearling each prefer drastically different "hot spot" temps!
They're brats, but I love them.