• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First Aid After Being Gone for a Month

solo1979

Lovin' me some snakes!
My yearling reverse okeetee escaped from his viv 5 weeks ago. It's a custom viv that I designed by converting a bookcase into 3 separate vivs by adding plexi glass sliding doors to the front. I learned the hard way that the gap between the doors was too big after discovering that he was gone.

Last night around midnight there was quite a commotion in my room with the dogs and cats fussing over something. I looked under my bed and surprise, there's little Nectarine and he's really banged up but still putting up a fight with the cat. I searched that area several times previously but he turned up when he was good and ready to. Scooped him up and carried him off to the bathroom to clean him up. He's lost a little weight but nothing terrible, dehydrated, but also has a lot of small punctures, most NOT fresh, from the cats swatting at him with their claws. A few were fresh and bleeding but I wasn't sure he'd tolerate me dabbing each wound with bacitracin ointment. He's pretty pissed and rightfully so. Lunged at me several times and was hissing. I put him in a tub of water and let him soak for about 30 minutes. He drank a lot. Offered a peach fuzzy (normal meal pre-escape was weanlings) just in case he was hungry but he was still too upset. I have him in a tub now and he spent most of the night out in plain sight, watching the cat like he wanted to continue the battle. This morning he's tucked securely under his water bowl.

Any tips on treating the punctures? How soon would you offer a meal?

6171907373_aaf3bfdba8.jpg

6171908109_3035ce19bf.jpg

I would soak him twice a day in weak Betadine water (you add Betadine to room temp water until it is the color of weak tea). I would watch for signs of infection and if you see anything bad take him to a vet for antibiotics. I would let him relax for maybe three or four days (while you do the soaks) and then see if he wants to eat. I would not soak him for two days while he is digesting.

Thanks Nanci! I was thinking of trying Betadine but really didn't want to upset him too much last night. All of the old wounds appear to be scabbed over and trying to heal but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on them.

poor little nectarine! so glad this escape had a happy ending though atleast. after youve done the soaks, maybe you could use neosporin on the more superficial cuts/scratches. i dont think youre supposed to use it on punctures however. i was told its okay to use an antbiotic ointment on minor wounds. but like nanci said just keep an eye on it, snakes are slow healers ive heard, but youll probably see a big difference when he sheds again. good luck =]

Thanks! He had another soak last night and all wounds seem to have scabs now, even the fresh ones from 2 nights ago. He is a little calmer now and wasn't striking, but he was never a cuddly snake or the type that you could just sit there watching TV with, so I wasn't able to examine him too long before he got squirmy.

I think the only thing to worry about now is he _did_ have puncture wounds from a cat, so there is more of a chance of infection than from other types of wounds. So I would just watch for signs of abscess.

I think the only thing to worry about now is he _did_ have puncture wounds from a cat, so there is more of a chance of infection than from other types of wounds. So I would just watch for signs of abscess.

Agreed! I try not to overhandle any of the snakes and feel bad bugging him everyday but want to make sure nothing starts taking a turn for the worse!

My cats keep hanging around the area where I found him. With all the toys, scratching boards, etc. I guess nothing in this house was quite as much fun as beating up the poor snake! :(

He looks pretty resilient but like Nanci said, I'd really watch for signs of an abscess especially since some of the wounds were already scabbed over once you found him. No telling what bacteria got into those and once they close, it actually seals it in causing more harm than good sometimes. By soaking him, you should notice if any of them are infected, however because the scab will become soft and if there is any pressure behind it from puss, it should help it to come out. If you do notice anything like that or he stops being so feisty/active (unusually so of course), I would recommend getting him to a vet immediately since unlike mammals, you won't be able to use heat at the wound site to verify a problem.

Absolutely! Just checked him tonight and looking better. Much more plump and doesn't have the wrinkled leather look anymore. I have an awesome herp vet that I've known for almost 20 years so if I have to run him in, I will. Trying to use that as a last resort though, as funds are really tight with an upcoming move.

Sounds like he's doing just fine then. Most animals are able to bounce back from things like this or they wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. Glad to hear he's doing well. :)

Yeah, I've seen some garters in my yard in far worse shape. It's just harder to see when it's a beloved pet indoors. Really looking forward to see how he looks after the first shed.

Give him a few sheds. He may have a scar or two but he's young and as he sheds, it will slowly disappear. You may have to soak him to help the sheds ease off at first with the scabs but he'll be alright.

Back