• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake hasn't eaten for 8-10 weeks!

mksmat

My corn snake hasn't eaten for 8-10 weeks! She (the vet said it was a little tricky to tell, but he thought she was most likely female) is normally a great once-a-week eater. She is about two and a half years old, and has never had a problem before. The last mouse she had bit her, so I thought that might have made her skittish...the vet said that can be a problem, and to try a rat pup. I could only find frozen ones, so I tried that, and she showed no interest. I have tried both live and thawed frozen mice, also to no avail. I tried "lizard maker" liquid, which is supposed to make other prey smell like lizards. That didn't work, either. She is incredibly active, "searching" around her cage much of the day and night, "sniffing" at the top of the cage, which she does do sometimes when she is hungry. I did read on the forum that it could be a mating season thing, but the length of time seems excessive. I am very concerned. Any suggestions or explanations? Help!

fresh kill....ick

I have serious issues with killing mice myself...I can let the snake do it, but I just can't do it myself.

Unfortunately...

You may have to try it! You have the responsibility to your pet to try to save her. You can't just let her starve to death! That would be simply be inhumane.

Are you sure that she isnt a Male. "Her" behavoir sounds exactly the same as my male, roaming around the cage and being very active. This is usually a male thing looking for a mate. Mine has just gone 14 weeks without eating. Only started feeding 10 days ago.
If she is a he it would explain things a bit better.

My adult snow female is always cruising around her cage this time of year. Last year she went off food for a while. :)

hmmm been there

i have a python and about a year ago she did the same thing had me so worried... she went from eating two large mice every 2 weeks to "fasting" for 4 months after getting bit pretty bad by one and acting the same way yours is liek shes looking for food but wouldnt touch it when she had it......while i sat there wanting to pull my hair out and tryign to find ways to get rid of all the rats i was buying but she wasnt eating.... eventually i got really fed up when i was trying to feed here took a spoon and smacked the rat on the head and killed it and put here and the rat in the cage and just left it and then went in a few hours later to see and she was eating it and since then shes back to normal and has gone back to eating live prey

Usually i wouldnt feed live mice to my snake, its much easier for me and him to just freeze them and thaw them out before eating. I dont know about you guys but it seems easier to me. :eek:

Back