PDA

View Full Version : New Corn Won't Eat

New Corn Won't Eat

reddragon087
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
I got a new corn on Tuesday and tried to feed him yesterday. The place I got him from said he had eaten Monday but it honestly didn't look like he had. Anyhow, tried to feed him one of the smallest pinkies I had and he refused to take it, he won't even go near it. Should I wait a few more days and try to feed him or is there something else I should be trying? He is very small only about 8-10 inches so still a tiny baby.

Nanci
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd wait three or four days and try again. No handling in between. Then offer a tiny pink, heated to 100F. I'd cut some shallow slits in the head and back. I would put the pink in a small container, with the snake, with air holes, with the lid on, cover it up, and don't peek for an hour. If he hasnt eaten after an hour, reheat the pink and leave him two hours, covered, with n peeking. Feed in the evening.

reddragon087
09-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Ok i will try that, thank you

Lyion
09-25-2011, 10:22 PM
My littlest one was turning away from him. When I put him in the closet and turned off all of the lights, within 10 minutes he ate right up! Snakes are nocturnal hunters, so try that. Also, you can use a needle to poke a hole in it's head for the juices to come out (not a pretty sight, but it works!) Perhaps he could actually be going into a shed too! Please update!

Tinkerbeller87
09-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I'd wait three or four days and try again. No handling in between. Then offer a tiny pink, heated to 100F. I'd cut some shallow slits in the head and back. I would put the pink in a small container, with the snake, with air holes, with the lid on, cover it up, and don't peek for an hour. If he hasnt eaten after an hour, reheat the pink and leave him two hours, covered, with n peeking. Feed in the evening.

Listen to her, trust me! She helped me 2 years ago when my new baby wouldn't eat. She ate this exact way. If it doesn't work search problem feeders on here and there are lots of different things you can try. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

reddragon087
09-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I am going to try and feed him Wednesday and see if he will eat and I will try all suggestions, they are all welcome.

Lyion
09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Do tell the results!

reddragon087
09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I guess on the upside my other cornsnake, Blaze is eating really well and he is growing faster than what I thought he would.

Lyion
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh yes, last time I talked to you, you were asking about your first snake, blaze. Looks like you got another :). And yes, they grow fast! I'm in a simular situation. My yearling first is eating great but my second is finiky. It could be an age thing I guess.

reddragon087
09-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Blaze was the one I was worried about but he's become quite the pig lol and his last shed he grew about 3-4 inches, i'll try putting up pictures tomorrow

reddragon087
09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
No luck on getting him to eat, took everyone's suggestions too. I put him in a tupperware container, heated the pinkie up and made cuts in it, left him in a dark room and he still isn't eating. I'm not sure what to do.

Lyion
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Just leave the little guy alone. Wait overnight ^^. You'll know in the morning if he ate it. Also make sure you poked holes in the top :X. My picky eater ate today, he's not the sharpest snake... striking it backwards thrice then eating it that way XD. Anyways, are you sure he isn't in a shed?

reddragon087
09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
he's really bright and his eyes are clear, he just acts like he's scared of it. i'll keep it in his tank and see if he will eat it over night...on the up hand blaze ate beautifully today. he's getting one fuzzy a week and got video of him today