PDA

View Full Version : My first try at feeding is today

My first try at feeding is today

schnebbles
10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I got my 1 mo old babies Monday. The had eaten on monday. No poo yet in the tank which doesn't really surprise me since they are getting used to their new environment.

Is there a certain time to feed?

I have a 5x10 or so Glad to go kind of container I thought would be nice - or would something smaller be better?

I will thaw the pinky in warm water - the gal I got them from said sometimes you should wash it. I wasn't clear on that. she said soap! That doesn't sound right - should I wash it? I have tweezers, regular ones I hope they will do, they should. I'll have to pick some of those plastic ones.

Any tips will be appreciated. I want them to eat well. Thank you! (oh, I do know to feed only one at at a time.

Taipan
10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I would not wash them, just thaw them out in warm water and dry them off. I have two babies of my own. My female eats like a champ, but my male is really picky, I have to brain his before he will eat it.

Hillybean
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
This is how I do it...
I have baby so, I use the empty formula cans (I rinse them out of course ). I put paper towel in the bottom. I then get a frozen pinkie out and put it in a critter bowl or measuring cup, I microwave my water and then pour the water in on pinkie. I let it set a minute, then I use tweezers to make sure the pinkie is thawed. If it is thawed, then I put it in the formula can, and go get my snake. I put the snake in the can, put lid on can (has holes poked in it) and leave it be for 20minutes. When I come back the pinkie is gone.

My anery eats two, so at that time I add in (drop in) another pinkie using the tweezers and leave him be for another 20minutes. I then make sure that pink is gone, I pick the can up and take him back to his tote. He slithers out on his own.

It's that simple, and I leave him be for three days. Unless they are problem feeders you should not have to water them or anything.

How many did she say to feed and what size did she recommend?

Hillybean
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Oopps..not water, meant you should not have to wash them, move them, or anything.

schnebbles
10-01-2011, 12:32 PM
ok, thank you! Pinkies. She said one every week, but I'm bumping that up by 2 days so they grow better. If one snakes eats one pinky quickly, should I then offer it another?

I know to only thaw one out at a time. Say my male won't eat, then I can use the same one to give to female to try? That's what sarah said.

I'm QUITE anxious to feed! Any certain time? Wake them up to feed? I'm sure that's probably ok.

Oh, I think I found names, for the moment anyhow, lol! Khol and Klohe. I think I was talking to AliCat about names last night.

It is hard choosing names, this is my 3rd set but I think they fit. Khol is the male anery so it's pretty fitting and Klohe is just a cute name and it has to be spelled with a K. My animal names must match, I'm weird.

Cats: Abby & Ally, Mica & Mia (bengals), now Khol and Klohe!

Fatman608
10-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I can tell you what I do with hatchlings. I put the pinky in a cup with hot tap water and wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to thaw. Then I put the pinky in the deli cup that the hatchling came in and bury it in the aspen substrate and leave it alone for an hour. If the hatchling ate, I remove the hatchling from deli cup back into cage if the snake did not eat the snake spends the night in the deli cup. I have never had one not eat but the next step would be braining.

Hillybean
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Pinkies come in different sizes. If they are only use to small pinkies, feeding a large pinkie could fill them up and then no need for two.Too large of pinkie might cause them not to eat, or make regurge happen.

You should bump up their feedings going buy weight, I will get that chart I copied on another post and paste on here for you.

Yep, if the male doesn't eat you can give it to the female. If they are full after one, they will not always eat a second one.

Good names :)!

Hillybean
10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Here this:
-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 4-5 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 4-5 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 5-6 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (24-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)
-Jumbo Adults (40-50g) every 7-x days (Snake = 400g+)

schnebbles
10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks Hilary - I'll save that.

I don't have the pinks out, but thy are probably not an inch long.

FatCat - so you feed them on the aspen? no troubles with them eating the aspen by mistake?

OK, I hate to ask this, but what is braining? Not sure I'm anxious to hear the answer!

I need a scale too, i used to have one. I doubt my ex still has it, I'll have to look in my storage shed but I doubt I still have it.

So, it's important to keep track of their weight it appears.

Fatman608
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
No substrate in the deli cup. The aspen is in the cage. I use the aspen like some people use a paper bag. This was stolen from John Lassiter

Feeding Hatchlings:
Here is a Document I put together years ago.....I use it to this day for Stubborn/Picky Feeders......

STEP 1: Offer a f/t newborn pinky. If it refuses thenā€¦

STEP 2: Offer live newborn pinky. If it refuses then....

STEP 3: Offer brained, live pinkie. Yes brained & alive. The brained pinkie is cut from snout to base of skull. If it is taken, reduce the incision each time until it is no longer necessary to stimulate feeding. If it is refused then....

STEP 4: Offer the brained, live pinkie under a dark, non translucent bowl with the stubborn feeder. Cover the snake and the prey and check in about 30 minutes or so. This has been the most effective method w/o scenting involved. If the snake refuses then...

STEP 5: A lizard has to be obtained. I use Med. House Geckos. Freeze the lizard in a deep freeze right away for about 1 hour. Remove from freezer and get a live newborn pinky and put the frozen mouse and a pink in a container. Keep them together until the lizard thaws out completely. The warmth of the pinkie will absorb the scent. Place it under a dark bowl with the snake and check in about 30 minutes or so. Rubbing the pinkie on the lizard or just keeping them together for a day will scent the pinky as well, but this method mentioned above has worked well for me.....If the snake refuses then....

STEP 6: It starts to get gruesome here. Thaw out the lizard and cut its abdomen open. Dip the head of the pinkie into the guts of the lizard. Place some skin from the lizard on the pinky's head and place under the dark bowl with the snake. If this fails then....

STEP 7: Feed small live lizards or lizard parts. I have had luck feeding them about 4 to 5 lizard meals then scenting pinks with such lizards.

STEP 8: If two months have gone by and the hatchling has not eaten a meal a short hibernation will usually do the trick. Drop its temps to around 55 or 60 degrees for about 6 to 8 weeks. After removal from the temps repeat all the steps above.

Once a hatchling has taken a meal try the method in the step above the one that was successful.

schnebbles
10-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Ok - I knew braining didn't sound good and I could not do that. That about makes me sick just reading it. I could never cut into a live anything. I don't even kill spiders and I can't stand them. I catch them and put them out.

My snakes have eaten already - frozen pinky - so I'm guessing and hoping they take it.

Gonna go thaw the pinky now, wish me luck that they both eat. Not feeding together.