PDA

View Full Version : Does my corn have mites?! black dot in water

Does my corn have mites?! black dot in water

Checkersthecornsnake
10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
So ive been away to university for the past month although i come back ever 2 weeks to see familyy and what not. My dad feeds him every weekk and changes the water although he knows nothing else about corn snake care. When im home i feed, change/clean water bowl and clean the cage. Today when i got home i noticed 1 small black dot in the water bowl, thinking it was mites i gave it a good look at and it seemed to have legs. I handled my corn and didnt see anything on him, so after about 10 minutes of handling i fed him and put him back. Although i will be gone another 2 weeks so i want to know if he has mites now otherwise it will be at least two weeks till i can treat him =\ i may come home next week just to ensure hes ok. Any ideas? I use paper towel for a substrate btw. and my high temps are at 30 degrees C. Any helps is appreciated! Thanks

Fatman608
10-01-2011, 02:04 PM
From what I can see from here in Texas, I am not sure. Do you see any black dots on the paper towels? If the answer is no, I would guess you do not have mites. If the answer is yes, I would say you have mites.

Checkersthecornsnake
10-01-2011, 03:14 PM
no there was none so hopefully thats right Thanks :D

Nanci
10-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I would look at him really, really closely under his chin, around his eyes, around his mouth.

Lots of things make black specks in the water bowl, though. I get tiny flying insects here that look like black dots. And flecks of cork bark. One time I became convinced that one of my snakes had mites (although I'd had him for years!!) and treated EVERYONE, three times, including the racks, carpet, removing all their aspen and going to paper towels. I took pics of the dot, though, and it was just corkbark...