PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY - SNAKE STUCK IN HOLE IN GLASS TANK

EMERGENCY - SNAKE STUCK IN HOLE IN GLASS TANK

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
My snake is stuck in a hole in the top of his glass tank, he has been there for around 20minutes I have put oil on him, he doesnt seem to be able to get in or out backwards or forwards though has tried.

He is in an aquarium tank which has holes in the corners when the lid is taken off.

Please help I am, he is stuck in glass. :cry: :( :nope:

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Someone help scale damage just tried to touch him and he bit me, he never bites

dionythicus
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Suggested oil, but saw you tried that.

beautifullywild77
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I am so sorry! I don't have a lot of experience with my babies as others do! I hope someone gives you information soon! I will keep you both in my thoughts!

dionythicus
10-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Can you post a pic so we can see the situation?

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I dont have a camera or camera phone anymore he is stuck, i think the only option is to somehow break the glass, this is like a nightmare I cant think of anything else, hes totally stuck would pulling him back out backwards cause more damage? Shall I leave him over night?

crackerhead
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Take a deep breath. Snakes do this sort of thing all the time and usually come out just fine. Without a visual, more info on the actual set up would help in the problem solving process. We're talking hatchling right? Describe the "holes" in more detail. Pulling the snake backward when it's stuck isn't a good option. The belly scales are designed for forward locomotion; overlapping one another.

Terri

Fatman608
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
With out a picture not much I can see or say to try.

schnebbles
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
oh no! I don't know as I'm new too. I wouldn't probably pull him back out and cause him damage, I wouldn't want to leave him overnight unless he's in an enclosed area that if he gets himself out, he doesn't get lost. I hope someone has an idea, I can imagine you're freaked out.

MotleyMedusa7
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry --I feel bad for the snake & you...but I have no real advice except for breaking the glass maybe :(

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Take a deep breath. Snakes do this sort of thing all the time and usually come out just fine. Without a visual, more info on the actual set up would help in the problem solving process. We're talking hatchling right? Describe the "holes" in more detail. Pulling the snake backward when it's stuck isn't a good option. The belly scales are designed for forward locomotion; overlapping one another.

Terri

No not a hatchling. The picture I have is from almost three years ago, He is fully grown

AliCat37
10-06-2011, 05:19 PM
I would not pull him back or break the glass. Put some oil around the area and then use a stick (since he is agitated) to nudge his face. Hopefully he will retreat back as you harass him. Worse come to worse get a friend to help you stabilize the aquarium and use a drill to break the glass- I would save this as the LAST RESORT. You don't want glass shards to stab him.

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
My friend took a photo

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:27 PM
The glass isnt sharp wheres hes stuck has a rounded edge, im thinking of leaving him overnight, see if he can get out himself?? dont want to take any drastic measures in case he hurts himself badly? How long shall I leave him until I decide to break the glass, hours or days? :(

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I was cleaning him out and let him out round the room, as usual, went to clean the bowl when I come back in there he was trying to get back in through that hole that he cant fit through :(

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I would not pull him back or break the glass. Put some oil around the area and then use a stick (since he is agitated) to nudge his face. Hopefully he will retreat back as you harass him. Worse come to worse get a friend to help you stabilize the aquarium and use a drill to break the glass- I would save this as the LAST RESORT. You don't want glass shards to stab him.

When I try and touch him he just strikes doesnt do anything else

AliCat37
10-06-2011, 05:40 PM
He is a lot farther through than I had thought. Have you tried touching his tail to see if he'll keep going through? I would almost say that is he got that far through he can get the rest of the way. They have very cartilaginous bones, so as long as you let him get through on his own I don't think broken ribs are going to be a concern. The next best idea is to try getting one of those glass liners off as gently as possible.

snaketamer15
10-06-2011, 05:44 PM
im very sorry this happend maybe try to lure it out with food
im new and i am imagining what youre going through and id be flippin out

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
He is a lot farther through than I had thought. Have you tried touching his tail to see if he'll keep going through? I would almost say that is he got that far through he can get the rest of the way. They have very cartilaginous bones, so as long as you let him get through on his own I don't think broken ribs are going to be a concern. The next best idea is to try getting one of those glass liners off as gently as possible.

Il leave him for the night, he is moving, hes trying to get through. I think Il just give him time for now. There's no way I can get off those glass liners without cutting or breaking it, its welded together with more glass, glass stuck to glass. :nope:

Thanks for all the help from everyone and thanks everyone that has replied.

MotleyMedusa7
10-06-2011, 05:49 PM
do you have any ky jelly or petroleum? if you're going to let him try on his own maybe keep applying some along the top & sides of his body to make it slick--I think putting it on his ventral scales (underneath) might make it hard for him to get a grip though

AliCat37
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
do you have any ky jelly or petroleum? if you're going to let him try on his own maybe keep applying some along the top & sides of his body to make it slick--I think putting it on his ventral scales (underneath) might make it hard for him to get a grip though

Definitely a good idea.
I would leave him be for a few hours- if he doesn't get out by morning it think breaking the glass may be your only option. Be sure you cover him as much as possible with a towel before doing that though.

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM

he is covered in oil atm, have no petroleum :(

bitsy
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
One of mine once got stuck in a hole in an earthenware pot. I tried lubing him up (!) with KY overnight but he didn't manage to free himself.

I took him (plus pot) to the vet the next day, who just took a hammer and chisel to the pot to get him out and checked him over. He has permanently scuffed-looking scales round his middle, but was none the worse for that little adventure - although the time he tried to squeeze throuh the 3mm gap between sliding glass doors, was a different matter... :(

Wish I could be more help. All I can say is that I understand how you feel and I hope your fella is more sensible/limber than my Pumpkin.

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 06:05 PM
The luring out with food thing, he can reach all the corners of his cage. Could put some outside but worried he may try going backwards again and get re-stuck or that he may eat the food before hes out and get fatter and more stuck.

Also he was fed 5days ago not sure if hes digested that meal yet or not

wormy cheeks
10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
break the glass starting at the end furtherest away from him and work your way back toward him. Maybe when you get half way or so the glass will give away causing no damage to your baby.

Susan
10-06-2011, 06:22 PM
I can only tell you what happened to two of my adults when they got stuck in their plastic tubs when they crawled over the gap made by the lid and the handle part that stuck inside the tub. One snake was already dead when I found him and the other had lost all feeling behind the stuck part and needed to be euthanized. I no longer use any type of container that has a space like that anymore.

I would not wait to get your snake out. I would do all possible to get him unstuck ASAP, including breaking the glass. You can always replaces the tank, but you can't reverse severe damage to your snake's body if circulation has been cut off for too long.

Nanci
10-06-2011, 06:29 PM
He can't go forward. can your friend hold the tail end steady and you try to gently smush him backwards? If he bites you're just going to have to ignore it. Otherwise, if you don't make any progress, break the glass. Good luck.

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Hes out! Got out by himself with plenty of vegetable oil. Hes a bit stressed out will the vegetable oil be ok to leave on him?

AliCat37
10-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Glad you got him out! I would just let him run through a wet wash cloth to get the excess off, but veggie oils won't hurt him.

StaceyBaybee
10-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Its a Miracle! :) Thanks everyone for the help! x

MotleyMedusa7
10-06-2011, 07:01 PM
that's awesome! :) wooo-what a relief!

Lennycorn
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
But him on newpaper or paper towels for the night and give him hide to rest in.
Pour a drink for yourself and call it a night.

Wipe him down in the morning.

schnebbles
10-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm so glad! Did he go out head first or back into the tank?

beautifullywild77
10-06-2011, 07:34 PM
woot woot, I am so glad you got him out!

cornsnakelovah
10-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Does he appear hurt? Scuffed scales, Etc.? My snake has scuffed scales from escape attemtes. Will they go away? :shrug:

Hexadeci
10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Poor guy! I'm glad he got out alright though. I'm sure you already know, but now that he's out, don't forget to plug up that hole asap! Just in case he gets all adventurous again.

bitsy
10-07-2011, 08:58 AM
My snake has scuffed scales from escape attemtes. Will they go away?
Several years down the line, the scuffed scales on my lad are still visible. The scales are slightly dented and they appear to be a darker colour than surrounding scales, so they're quite visible. They haven't improved with shedding.

I guess it depends how much damage has been done to the underlying skin.

StaceyBaybee
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm so glad! Did he go out head first or back into the tank?

Yeah he got out head first into the tank the way he was going in the first place before that though he was trying backwards.

He has some flakey scales now, part from that hes fine :)