PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Update

Peanut Update

reddragon087
10-08-2011, 07:54 PM
In the three weeks I've had Peanut it's sad to say he's only eaten once. I tried the first week I had him and nothing so I waited another week and after several hours he decided to eat the pinkie and now he is back to not eating again. He has only eaten once in a month and I've tried braining, leaving it in a tupperware container with him in the dark, force feeding, scenting it and with all the tries nothing has come of it. I will keep trying I guess, just thought I would update and see if someone maybe has a new suggestion.

AliCat37
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
If he has eaten once he will probably eat again. What are the temps like in his cage? Perhaps he is too cold? As far as force feeding goes, you can always force feed him tails (of adult mice). It is very easy to do and I think is what saved my little non eater (and also enticed him to eat!). Good luck!

reddragon087
10-08-2011, 11:16 PM
His temps are sitting at 85 degrees during the day and I switch the day bulb to a night bulb and it brings it down to about 65-70 during the night...going to try and feed him tonight

AliCat37
10-09-2011, 01:22 AM
IMHO 65 is too cold of a night drop if that's the warmest area he can get to. I don't like the warm side dropping below 82 at anytime. He may just be too cold and doing a form of burmation. I would make the switch from the lights to an under tank heater (that's my personal preference).
Does he have a warm and a cool side? Or are his temps a constant 85 in the day with a drop at night?
I personally provide all my snakes with UTH that are set to 88 degrees (I share the thermostat with boa/ball so it's on the high end). That is a constant temp, I don't let it drop any cooler at night, and the cool side is never less than 72. I've never encountered any feeding issues with my critters.

reddragon087
10-09-2011, 05:43 PM
It usually sits about 75 at night and he does have an under the tank heater. He wasn't eating with the breeder either from what I was told recently, he failed to mention that when I got him. However, he was sort of a rescue cause he was in plastic container that did have mites so he is getting a new home and for the breeder I won't be buying from him again.