PDA

View Full Version : First shed since I got the little guy.

First shed since I got the little guy.

Sandra0704
10-12-2011, 03:05 AM
My phantom corn snake shed today for the first time since I've had him/her. It was almost a complete shed. My mom looked in the tank and saw the shed sitting there and didn't realize it may or may not have been connected to the snake. We aren't sure if it was connected to the snake still but either way it doesn't seemed to traumatized and it just has a little of its shed left on its tail. Was thinking tomorrow if its still there I would give it a warm bath just like the sticky said. Thoughts?

jonnyw
10-12-2011, 04:32 AM
Had no experience with incomplete sheds but I read you can just let him slide through a damp cloth or towel that HASNT had any chemicals on, just luke warm water.

SJLilly
10-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I've had a problem with one of mine not shedding completely. Usually its not a problem unless the incomplete shed builds up and restricts the bloodflow (usually at the end of the tail). I would just wait for one more shed cycle, usually whatever was left over from the first incomplete shed will be removed by the next shed. If need be though it works pretty well to put the snake in a small container like a deli cup or something along those lines with a wet paper towel and let the snake "soak" for a little while. This usually softens up any leftover skin which you can then just rub off with your fingers or a soft towel.

Sandra0704
10-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I already gave it a luke warm bath and it came off no problem. Thanks for the advice though.

AliCat37
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
You always want to get retained shed off, no matter if it is on the tail or not. I'm glad that you were able to get it off, the easiest way I know of is to run them through a moist towel. Be careful when soaking, if the water feels warm to you it is far too warm for a reptile. Some people interpret luke warm as being warm to the touch, which is not a good idea when our bodies run at 98 degrees and a corn's safe max is 90! This is just an FYI, as I never realized this until I read it on a different forum. :)

schnebbles
10-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, my Khloe is/has shed. I'm not sure what to think. I know when my dragons shed, it was pieces all over. Now with Khloe, I took her to Hillybeans house Monday and she said that Khloe was blue - I looked and saw what she meant. She noticed it immediately where I wouldn't have. So, since I read you can try to feed, she ate 2 days ago (Friday)
now I was looking at her today b/c I had to get another out to feed him - I see bits of shed on her. I didn't see any complete shed but I suppose it could be buried in the aspen? The pieces hanging on look like they will fall off, there is no way for me to know if she's all shed though. She doesn't appear greyish like my dragons did when they would be shedding. Her face looks normal. Should I do anything or just let her go and keep an eye on her?