• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What size?

ARiley144

Gonna switch Toothless to rats I think...adult mice just dont seem to be cuttin it for him, cant tell/see he's eaten one at all and right around 7-8 days he goes and 'pouts' on his feeding rock till day 10 or untill I give in and feed him. Yes I'm not even kidding...the snake pouts, its pathetic looking. So the next step is switching to a rat right...? I need to know what size to switch him too...I know the whole the same size around as him thing but the frozen things look 'squished' to me and to be honest, I never thought that I'd ever be contemplating switching him. Also can you give pinks inbetween feedings as like a 'treat'? Here's a pic to help judge size...he's about 5ft long.

Attachments

• 010 (640x463).jpg
    010 (640x463).jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 57
You can try ex-large adults mice every 14 days but from what I see you snake is at a good weight now. What is he, 700 grams??? You might of hit is his peak in the food size. Corns are slender my nature. So if you feed him more often or larger (rats), you could end up with an over weight snake.

I have no idea his weight i tried to find out what it was when I got him but his old owner never weighed him or anything. He also fed him 1 adult mouse a week. I feed him 1adult every 10days. He digests it in 3days and you cant ever tell he's eaten. My local pet stores dont have any mice bigger than an 'adult' mouse so maybe i should try a juvie rat every 10 days?...the mice really do seem kinda small compared to him and he chows it in less than a min. with ease. He's definately not fat he looks to be healthy and perfect, i have no device to weigh him with.

I would get a scale that weighs in grams. I got one of amazon for 12 bucks. Weigh him, feed him a large mouse every 10 days. Weigh him every time you get him out to feed (but before feeding). If he starts loosing 20- 30 grams over a couple week period then move him to a weekly schedule. Repeat process, if he starts gaining to much then cut back to 10 days until he starts loosing weight. Rats have tougher skin, which can make it harder to digest. They also are higher in fat and protein, which can make him fat. He appears to be at a good weight. You don't want him to fat, it can cause health issues.

The only time I feed rats is to fatten up a really thin snake. Sometimes to fatten up a breeding female after about the 3rd meal after laying eggs Even then I poke a lot of hole in the rat to help with digestion (stomach juices to penetrate the skin).

If you do insist on bumping him up. A rat pup that is just opening its eyes is about the size of a large mouse. That sounds about what you need.

I was concerned about over-feeding him, i dont want him to get fat but i dont want him to be hungry either. Thanks for the info, had no clue about the rats being more fatty and etc. I think i'm gonna stop buying from the store and buy from rodent pro or something cuz they have the jumbo adults. Thanks for the advice :)

Granted, I'm pretty new to the hobby but the method i've used for determining what size feeders to give to my corns is to try to select food items NOT exceeding 1.5 times the girth of your snake at midbody (got that right out of The Corn Snake Comprehensive Owner's Manual by Kathy Love and Bill Love, which is a great book you should get btw for about $10 on amazon.) In the book it also says that "it's often wiser to give two or more small food items than one, huge, hard-to-digest one." It makes it a bit easier to be able to tell if the size of the rodent is correct just by looking at it if you use this rule. Personally for my yearling corns i give them 2-3 fuzzies once a week even though they could probably handle one big hopper. And as for rodent pro... it's MUCH cheaper in the long run. My local pet store charges $1.50 per frozen pinkie, whether they're one day old or fuzzies or hoppers. You'll save a lot of money using rodent pro or MiceDirect.

Back