PDA

View Full Version : Getting Humidity DOWN

Getting Humidity DOWN

Lycari
10-19-2011, 03:56 PM
So I have a humidity problem, as mentioned in a previous thread of mine. It's too bloody high!

The humidity in my viv (which is NOT currently inhabited) averages 72%. I have the water dish as far away from the heat pad as I can get it (which is not very far in a 10g, but oh well...). I tried a small fan, but it did absolutely nothing for the humidity and was cooling off the viv faster than the UTH could heat it back up--even at the lowest setting! In desperation, I tried removing the water dish altogether. No change. I went out and got a $30 Eva-Dry dehumidifier and put in on top of the tank. No change. I put it in the tank. It went down to 70%, but I've never seen it go any lower. It's been in there for almost a week now.

I pulled out the hygrometer and left it next to the tank and it's still reading the same thing. I know it works because I took it in the bathroom and ran a really hot shower for a while, and it was reading something like 95%. So the ambient humidity in my room must be around 70%.

I can't think of anything else to do except to go out and get about ten of those DampRid things and just stick them around in my room and hope they dry the room out more than they're supposed to when used en-mass....

Is 70% humidity really so bad that a corn will get sick? Does it really need to be dryer, or can they tolerate it?

Lycari
10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Whoops, wrong forum.... Would a mod be so kind as to move it to Husbandry and Basic Care, please? :P Or is it considered "okay" to just re-post it there...?

Fatman608
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Your corn snake will be fine at 72%. If you can not lower the humidity in your house then that is the best you can do so do not worry about it. The good new is that you should not have to worry about shed problems.

jonnyw
10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
My humidity is the same, about 70 and I cant get it down either. Ive stopped worrying about it now and like fatman said perfect sheds everytime lol :)

atmox
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I never can get is lower than 65% either.

AliCat37
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
As long as the substrate is not wet to the touch it will be fine, just as everyone else says :)

Sweetseraph
10-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like you would probably need a room dehumidifier if you are still concerned about it. It will probably go down naturally in the winter.

atmox
10-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Forgot to say my problem is that i use eco earth which holds humidity very well. But i can't have Aspen because of my asthma and i'd like him to be able to burrow. Also i make sure the eco earth is really dry before i use it because i understand it's the moist in the soil that causes health problems, not the 10% air humidity that is to high.

Lycari
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Really? It's okay? Yippee!! ^_^

XD Seriously, that's a huge relief. :) Alrighty, then, I'll make sure the substrate stays dry and relax a bit about the air humidity. :D Thanks, everyone!!