PDA

View Full Version : Handling after a regurge

Handling after a regurge

Khena
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Little Igloo regurged today about 30 hours after I fed him. I'm not really sure what caused it as his temperatures are good (warm side at 84-85) and I did no more than nudge him out of the deli cup after he ate. The pinkie did seem big to me, but no bigger than the previous one he didn't have any problems with (so I figured I am just a nervous newbie). The only thing that changed since the first successful meal was I wrapped a length of ivy around his stick, and I changed his substrate from newspaper to Carefresh after he pooped. Just not sure what could have caused it.

But anyway, I know the protocol, wait 8-10 days and feed pinkie heads for 2 days, etc. What I am unclear about is handling procedure after the first 10-12 days. When is it ok to start handling him again? My kids really love to see him, so we usually get him out for 2-5 mins after homework when he hasn't eaten recently. My kids are 4 and 6, so I keep the time short simply because my kids are so excitable. Well, and because he is so tiny (and I fear, underweight. Scale will be here hopefully on Saturday). How long should I wait to start handling (after waiting the initial wait of 8 days + digesting time)?

Nanci
10-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Do you think he may be blue? Is he in hiding in the evening when he should be out?

Since he is very small, and you do not want another regurge no matter what, I would restrict handling until he is back on his normal-sized mouse. You want him to be stress-free. If your kids miss him terribly, maybe let one bring him to the feeding bin and another replace him in his home after feeding. Maybe let them practice taking pics of him through his glass when he is out. Or try to draw him.

Khena
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
He was behaving as normal the days before I fed him. Nothing seemed off. When we put him back in his viv after admiring him for the day he curled up on his leaf and stayed on his stick until feeding time the next morning (He did change places though).

The only thing I noticed the last time I held him was that he seemed a bit browner than normal and his skin seemed a little wrinkly around his belly. Maybe that could be a sign of an impending shed? (He's an anery)

And thank you for the suggestions, my little one is happy enough if the snake is moving around the viv 'smiling' at him. By the end of the month though, I'll bet they'll be impatient! Hopefully pictures and drawings will be enough to lower the nagging a bit!