PDA

View Full Version : regurge/poop???

regurge/poop???

Cornelia
10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm sorry if this is a totally obvious question, but how do you tell the difference between a regurge and a poop? I have mostly seen poops that are obviously poops from my hatchlings, but I had something today that looked a little different. It looked to me like a poop with some undigested pinky skin or something in it. Is that normal or what? Would a regurge basically look like a whole pinky? It had been several days since feeding by the way.

ceduke
10-23-2011, 02:11 AM
Poop has a mild odor to it. Regurge has a smell that will make your eyes water and send you reeling!! A little bit of undigested tissue isn't the end of the world.

Nanci
10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Usually it is obvious, but sometimes conditions are perfect for the regurge to desiccate and mummify without an apparent odor. A typical regurge would start out as a vague sweet smell in the room that isn't usually there. You might think there is something "off" in the garbage. If you can't track it down, the smell gets stronger and starts to smell like a dead body.

Virtually every regurge I've found from a hatchling has been identifiable by smell. If you aren't sure, though, it doesn't hurt at all to do a short, modified regurge protocol. Feed a half-size meal with Nutribac on the next feeding, then a slightly smaller meal, then back to full-size, adding Nutribac to the mice for about a month.

Also watch the snake for behaviour that might indicate it is or was blue at the time of the possible regurge, and check your temps.

Cornelia
10-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks Nanci and ceduke, now that I know it is possible for a corn to pass undigested tissue I am sure that is what happened because that is exactly what it looked like. It also didn't have the horrible stench that you guys described. I just wasn't sure before whether that was possible, so I figured I'd ask. Now I know! Thank you both for answering :)