PDA

View Full Version : Regurgitated twice now wont eat!!!

Regurgitated twice now wont eat!!!

rjones
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
My baby corn has had one successful feeds but last two he has regurgitated. I fed him again 5 days after which is what pet shop told me to do, he just ignored it and is very lively, looks like he is trying to escape. I have tried him now another 5 days after with half a pinky and he still isnt interested, not even a sniff.
Please help im really worried he is going to die, he is my 7 year olds birthday present.
Also when i attach thermostat to heat mat do i put temp on top of mat cause when i do it never goes on and cage feels really cold. i have moved thermometer bit to side of mat now which seems to keep it warmer.
Thank you!

Fatman608
11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
My baby corn has had one successful feeds but last two he has regurgitated. I fed him again 5 days after which is what pet shop told me to do, he just ignored it and is very lively, looks like he is trying to escape. I have tried him now another 5 days after with half a pinky and he still isnt interested, not even a sniff.
Please help im really worried he is going to die, he is my 7 year olds birthday present.
Also when i attach thermostat to heat mat do i put temp on top of mat cause when i do it never goes on and cage feels really cold. i have moved thermometer bit to side of mat now which seems to keep it warmer.
Thank you!

What are the temps on the warm side and cool side in the cage? Have you tried braining a pinky? Have trying the deli cup in a paper bag trick?

The probe for the T-stat goes on top of the heat mat and should be dailed into 85 degrees F or 30 degrees C.

You might want to purchase a book like

Corn Snakes: The Comprehensive Owner's Guide (Herpetocultural Library, The) by Kathy Love and Bill Love (Sep 1, 2006)

or

Corn Snakes in Captivity (Professional Breeders Series) by Don Soderberg (Oct 1, 2007)

11-04-2011, 03:46 PM
lol, Fatman608 going on with the book recomendations.

And I ditto that.

rjones
11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for quick reply!
Hot end is 30 and mat is covering cold end!
Will look on amazon now and buy book! When u think i should try again with pinky! i have head half left of one - what do i do to brain it?
Thanks

schnebbles
11-04-2011, 07:26 PM
What do you mean by mat is covering the cold end? not the heat mat, right?

braining is when you take a toothpick and stick it in the head and get some of the brain matter and smear it on the pinky's nose.

rjones
11-05-2011, 09:22 AM
No wrote it wrong! Thanks will give it a go!

Tom Tuttle
11-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I would advise waiting a mininum of 10 days between feedings after a regurge.

rjones
11-05-2011, 10:58 AM
when would you recommend feeding again! he regurged 12 days ago but doesnt seem interested in food

Hillybean
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Do you know if he was an established eater??

More information about your set up or even pictures might help. If something is off, then a hatchling might refuse to eat.

If its been 12 days then feed again. Brain it an xxsm pink, and make sure it is a nice thawed, then leave it in with the corn for several hrs. Make sure you place the feeding container in a dark warm area, where it won't be bothered. Again, just leave him be with the food, do not check back on him for a few hrs.

If braining doesn't work let him be for a few days, and try something else (lizard scented, tuna scented, washed, etc). Also, if he does eat do not handle him. If he eats, I would just let him be in the feeding container over night, so that I wouldn't bother him by moving him.

Hexadeci
11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
My hatchling is having similar issues. He did fine, at well for me 5 times, then regurged when he was in blue. He deigned to eat the head I offered him 10 days later, but since then has flat out refused 2 meals. We'll try again on Sunday (tomorrow) at dusk. I'll let you guys know when (not if) I get food down him and what finally worked. Here are some things I'm going to try:
1) A new batch of pinkies. This batch of Arctic Mice from petco looked suspicious and old and sometimes snakes are picky.
2) Head only, brained. If that doesn't strike his interest, the butt end, possibly with brains. Who knows? He did butt munch several of his last few successful meals.
3) Scenting with tuna fish/chicken broth.
4) Serving piping hot.
5) Serving wet. Serving dry.
6) Tease method (basically bug then with the mouse until they get annoyed and strike at it, then hope once they have it in their mouths it occurs to them to eat it).
7) Live feeder. I will resort to it if I have to. I am prepared to do terrible things to a live pinky if I have to for my little worm's sake.

schnebbles
11-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Nanci has recommended feeding tails. That was going to be one try for me if my non-feeder I got wouldn't eat.