PDA

View Full Version : Out of blue 6 days... no shed

Out of blue 6 days... no shed

v00kimba00v
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
So my hatchling Nixie has been out of blue for 6 days now. No shed, I've scoured the tank pretty completely everyday for the past 4 days. I've also been following Nanci's advice from the sticky with the tub/washcloth/lukewarm water routine, I've been doing it for 30 min a day for the past 4 days. parts of her look flaky like one of Nanci's pictures from the sticky, and when you look real close at her scales you can tell she hasn't shed yet. The only time she rubs on things is when she's in the tub soaking, in her tank she just stays in her hide all the time. Should I just keep going with this routine? Or is there something else I can do?

Christen
11-04-2011, 05:15 PM
It seems all my kids are taking forever to shed lately to. Don't worry they will shed in their own time. This is one of those things that you can't rush or encourage.

v00kimba00v
11-04-2011, 05:30 PM
so, should I stop soaking her then? I'm just worried the humidity isn't high enough for her since my sinus' have been feeling a little dry lately. I've got a wet paper towel on the bottom of her warm side hide and she's been spending all her time in there but I have to re-wet it pretty often.

AliCat37
11-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Soaking her often can actually hinder the shedding process by removing important oils needed for shedding. The only time I would ever recommend a soak for a snake is AFTER they have a bad shed. My motley boy usually will just sit around for days after he clears up from blue, I'll just take him out when he looks "sad" and hold him for about five mins, out him back, and then since he's moving around he'll shed.

Nanci
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Are you sure she's blue?

v00kimba00v
11-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Are you sure she's blue?

well she got really dull and her eyes clouded over, after a couple days her scales and eyes cleared up. since she cleared up she's been hiding much more than normal. she also looked wrinkly. and since my last post she came out of hiding and had been rubbing her face on everything in her cage and yawning.

Nanci
11-04-2011, 06:57 PM
How many days ago did she come out of hiding?

v00kimba00v
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM
she only really came out of hiding today for about an hour. rubbed her face on everything, yawned a bit, then went back into her humid hide. she has some spots that look flaky on her sides, that's why I started soaking her a couple days ago. I thought she had shed and I just couldn't find it but that some was still stuck to her. But it didn't work and when I looked more closely at her the next day I saw that she hadn't actually shed yet. It's pretty dry here right now and I'm having to replace the wet paper towel in the humid hide several times a day cuz it dries out. Should I just leave her alone or should I continue to soak her?

v00kimba00v
11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
It's now been 8 days out of blue without shedding. She's spending more time out of her humid hide. But she only rubs her face on things for a little bit before curling up somewhere. Is she gonna be ok? Is there anything I can do?

In the time she has been out of blue our yearling has gone into blue and then shed, it seems like this must be taking too long.

Nanci
11-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I vote for leave her alone. If it will make you feel better, mist her viv lightly once a day and cover the top loosely with plastic wrap.