PDA

View Full Version : A little worried

A little worried

Sierra1167
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Please bear with me as I am still new to everything "snakey". I posted about moving the kids up from a single ex small pinkie to two ex small per feeding. I fed the two on Wed evening and they have both kept them down. However, I have not seen any poop or regurge and they both still have visible lumps. I didn't want to feed again until they passed the last feeding,so I skipped feeding last night. Both snakes seem as active as before(they are still settling in since I have only had them a week this past Sat) and they show no signs of distress that I can see. At what point should I worry about this? Should I go ahead and feed again? Thanks for all the help!

Dakota314
11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
It's normal for some corns not to poop right away after feeding. Mine doesn't go for about 7-8 days after I feed her.

How often are you feeding them? Eating 2 ex small pinks sounds like they are still pretty small, yes?

schnebbles
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think I would feed if there is a visible lump. The food they ate before apparently hasn't digested thoroughly. I'm not an expert but that is what I would do.

I'm agreeing with Dakota too - 2 ex small sounds like a lot. Try one regular maybe next time. I think your babies are close to the size of mine. Mine are still on one pinky. When you eventually switch to 2 pinks, you could use up the ex small that way, 1 regular & 1 ex small is what I'd do if I wanted to use up the little ones.

My biggest babies are about 16" and 15gms if that helps. I have not moved them up yet but probably feeding after next I will.

Sierra1167
11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
It's normal for some corns not to poop right away after feeding. Mine doesn't go for about 7-8 days after I feed her.

How often are you feeding them? Eating 2 ex small pinks sounds like they are still pretty small, yes?

I have only fed twice since I got them last Sat. The breeder was feeding one ex small pinkie on Wed and Sun. Since they digested the one so quickly(they both pooped about a day and a half later), I was advised that they may be ready to go up in size or double up. I fed two ex small pinkies on Wed and they haven't pooped yet since that feeding. They are pretty small. They were hatched in July/Aug. I am not sure of size or weight because I haven't measured them yet.

Sierra1167
11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I don't think I would feed if there is a visible lump. The food they ate before apparently hasn't digested thoroughly. I'm not an expert but that is what I would do.

I'm agreeing with Dakota too - 2 ex small sounds like a lot. Try one regular maybe next time. I think your babies are close to the size of mine. Mine are still on one pinky. When you eventually switch to 2 pinks, you could use up the ex small that way, 1 regular & 1 ex small is what I'd do if I wanted to use up the little ones.

My biggest babies are about 16" and 15gms if that helps. I have not moved them up yet but probably feeding after next I will.

I agree. I plan to just go back to feeding one per feeding for a while. I would rather feed a bit more often than take a chance at a regurge if I can help it. I will wait until they poop before I feed again. That's where I was heading,but wanted to ask opinions first. Thanks you two.

schnebbles
11-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Mine are all about that age too. I have not read that feeding more often can help avoid regurge, did you read that? I feed my little ones every 5 days. That's advice I got here. They all ate last night, good little babies :)

Sierra1167
11-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Mine are all about that age too. I have not read that feeding more often can help avoid regurge, did you read that? I feed my little ones every 5 days. That's advice I got here. They all ate last night, good little babies :)

Not at all. I just meant that I would rather go back to feeding one pinkie a couple times a week than feed them two at a time before they are ready and risk a regurge. Sorry I was kind of vague.