PDA

View Full Version : Ailments Common to Humans and Snakes

Ailments Common to Humans and Snakes

hypnoctopus
11-08-2011, 12:30 AM
How many and what sorts of diseases or disorders can affect both humans and corn snakes?

For instance, dogs and humans are both mammals and are therefore more closely related than snakes and humans, so it would make sense than many of the ailments that affect humans would also be present in dogs (or other mammals). Both dogs and humans can suffer from diabetes, arthritis, heart problems, and various fungal infections. Obviously there are also diseases than only affect one species or the other, but clearly we do share a lot of them.

I would assume that because snakes and humans are more closely related than, say, plants and humans, we would also share some disorders or diseases. Things like skeletal problems or organ problems should be the same or similar in both snakes and humans because both species have bones and organs, but could the same bacteria or viruses affect snakes as well as people?

So, long question short, what types of things affect both snakes and humans? Like, do corn snakes ever get colds or any form of the flu?

(Sorry if this is a totally ignorant question. I'm new to snake ownership and I'm really enjoying learning all I can!) :cheers:

Shiari
11-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Corns can suffer from kidney issues, heart issues, cancer, abscesses, skin diseases, upper respiratory infenctions, etc etc etc.

Hexadeci
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Obesity too, apparently. On this particular thread you mostly hear about the problem feeders, but it's perfectly possible for snakes (especially established adults) to over-eat and get fat.

Forcedexile
11-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I thought snakes, along with most reptiles from what I've heard, can be carriers of salmonella? is this true or just an old wives tale.

Dallas Hawks
11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I saw a CDC report somewhere that estimated 70,000 people are treated for salmonella "poisoning" from reptiles yearly in the US. Amazingly I have been keeping reptiles of some type for 25+ years and have never had an issue nor have I ever known anyone else to require treatment. I'm sure it does happen since snake eat raw meat and some fluids are sure to contaminate their skin on occasion giving the bacteria an environment in which to live. A simple hand washing after handling should be enough to prevent this from ever being an issue though....... :-)

Fatman608
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I thought snakes, along with most reptiles from what I've heard, can be carriers of salmonella? is this true or just an old wives tale. True

Like Dallas Hawks said "simple hand washing after handling should be enough to prevent this from ever being an issue though".

hypnoctopus
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Most reptiles and many other animals do carry salmonella. You can also get it from undercooked meats or raw egg, as well (so if you've ever licked cake batter off a spoon, you put yourself at risk for acquiring salmonella). From what I've read though, unless you're elderly, very young, or have a compromised immune system, getting salmonella really isn't a huge deal. Washing your hands after handling your snake or cleaning its tank is a good preventative measure.

Tiaret
11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Isn't it just the poop that has the salmonella in it? I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe not.

Forcedexile
11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
i always sanitize after i clean poop out of his tank and I try to sanitize after I handle him but regardless I wash my hands at least 3 times a day anyway...i always used to eat raw cake batter as a kid and I like my meat barely cooked, guess i'll be fine then lol.

hypnoctopus
11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Isn't it just the poop that has the salmonella in it? I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe not.

It's in their digestive system, so yes, it's in the poop. The problem is that the snake might slither through their poop or through bedding that had poop in it, etc.