PDA

View Full Version : Should I feed if snake hasn't pooped?

Should I feed if snake hasn't pooped?

babbaloo99
05-06-2004, 02:13 AM
Well, I fed my snake exactly seven days ago. Since then he has gone down under and hasn't come out, not even to poop! He usually poops once or twice before his next feeding which is like clockwork every 7 days. But I haven't even seen snake "prints" as if he has come out even for water.

His last meal was even a bit smaller of a mouse than usual (he is approx. 8-9 months old). The temps in his viv are fine (even a bit warmer than usual due to hot weather). I know he is alive and OK because I've checked him twice and left him alone. It's been about 5-6 weeks since his last shed. I can't tell if he is going into shed mode because I haven't been able to see his eyes change since he has been in hiding.

I was thinking of giving him a bath to see if that helps, as I am going out of town on Friday and was wondering if I should feed him before I leave or wait until after I leave. I do have a snake sitter coming to check on him, so I would have someone home that can monitor him while I am gone. Any recommendations?

Dennis Gulla
05-06-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't know your snake, but mine usually hide under the paper almost all of the time.

I would go ahead and feed him again if he is scheduled to eat. If he does not eat, he may be ready to shed. One week is not that long inbetween bowel movements and you stated that his last meal was smaller then usual. Offer food, if he does not have a bowel movement in the next week or so you may want to soak him warm water for twenty minutes or so. This will help him defecate if he is plugged up.

MegF.
05-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I have a hard time finding the poops of my Aztec because she burrows so much. I think she deliberately hides them so I can't find them. I'd feed yours if he'll take it.

babbaloo99
05-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Well, I saw him peek his head out just before leaving for dinner. Must have been hungry. When we got home, sure enough he had shed and pooped while we were out, so that explains it. I suspected that was the case and had already had his food ready and he scarfed it down. I am getting to know his little habits pretty well.

MegF.
05-07-2004, 08:23 AM
That's excellent! I'm hoping mine will eat this monday when I feed her. She wasn't interested last week. She's already shed, so that's not the reason, but we had guests staying in the room and I think the activity and lights on at night, might have spooked her a bit. She's a lot more nervous than my other one. We'll see if she's hungry next week.