PDA

View Full Version : Scale Abnormalities

Scale Abnormalities

willderphil
11-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi, I was holding Cynder today and I noticed some scale abnormalities on her back on one of her saddles. Is this something I should be worried about. Could she have made them accidentally come off in her cage. I've had her for two months and never noticed it before. I'll attach some pictures. Can it be scale rot? I keep her on newsprint and clean up after her whenever I notice waste in her cage and have never seen her water dish. Oh and I checked her last shed cause it was her first one and I kept it (lol) and it was a complete shed.

willderphil
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
The spot in question is in on the saddle in the middle.

Susan
11-11-2011, 07:06 AM
I wouldn't be concerned at this point. Considering her age, scale rot is not near the top of the list. Neither is an injury/scarring. I would say it's just slightly abnormal scales, like a birthmark. Nature is just chock full of little odd things like that, especially when you consider how complex DNA is and that during the tremendous cell multiplication that occurs in a developing embryo, the chance of a tiny mix-up here and there is bound to happen sometimes. Keep an eye on it. If the abnormality gets larger, see a vet. If it stays the same or goes away, forget about it!

willderphil
11-11-2011, 10:22 AM
OK thanks for the advice

Christen
11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I had a snake that did have a spot like that on her. Her very first shed was not good and she scratched up her back pretty good but after a few sheds you couldn't eve notice she had done it. But like Susan said:

Keep an eye on it. If the abnormality gets larger, see a vet. If it stays the same or goes away, forget about it!