PDA

View Full Version : Heart problems?

Heart problems?

foreverbored
11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
My 6 year old corn, Mr.Biggles, has had swelling around his throat for nearly 6 months now. I originally took him to my vet and although he had never seen it in a corn, he had seen something like it in breeds used to more tropical weather and had turned out to be temperature issues. So I very carefully monitered his heating for a few months and if anything it got worse. So I took him back yesterday and we found more swelling about a few inches from his head (apparently where his heart is?). The doctor kept referring it to edema and fluid build up. Said Biggles could have heart issues (possibly a mass) thats affecting his circulation and causing the swelling. So we started him on diruetics for a month to see if it helps anything.

My question is, has anyone else experience ANYTHING like this before?

Any imput is appreciated!!

MegF.
11-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I've never seen it personally but there are chondros I've seen with enlarged hearts that you could see through the body. Never heard of anyone using diuretics (I'm assuming you're using something like Lasix?). It will be interesting to see if it helps.

foreverbored
11-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes, he has been on Lasix for two days now and the swelling hasnt gone away but he has been more active than usual.

SnakeAround
11-12-2011, 12:30 PM
An experienced corn keeper I know told me recently that he had two cases of juvenile corns with 'a swollen heart' but they did not have problems so he did not go to the vet. One just grew into a healthy adult with no probelms and the swelling dissappeared, the other one died a few days after he noticed the swelling, but showed no signs of illness until it died.