PDA

View Full Version : New Corn-No Poop

New Corn-No Poop

AdamF
11-19-2011, 10:02 AM
About 2 weeks ago I acquired a 4 foot, very healthy female albino sun glow. Prior owner indicated she bread every year. She appears very healthy and hardy. She is very active, and peaks her head out of hide box (as if hungry) the second cage door opens.
Daytime temps around 85 (heat tape), night time about 65-70

Since I have her, she ate 2 med mice her first feeding (5 days after acquisition), 5 days later she took on 1 med rat, no problem, all FT.

As far as I can tell, no poops yet! I suppose it's possible it just got swept up with cage newspaper I cleaned out, but it's rare to not notice (lol!)

I cannot find any discernible lumps or anything that would indicate a blockage along her body.

Any ideas?

Forcedexile
11-19-2011, 10:22 AM
well since she is an adult i would cut her back to feeding an appropriately sized meal every 14 days.

she probably pooped and you just didn't notice although that much food and i would think you would have seen it lol.

AdamF
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
My other two, 2yr old corns both don't "look hungry" (IE Very active upon cage openings) until after they have pooped last meal.

I was wondering about the feedings, prior owner told me she ate 6 mice per week, which I knew was alot.

Should I stick with multiple mice every 14 days, or let her have the rat?

p.s. she does have a very noticeable ridge on her back, right above where the vent is. Looks like slight exaggeration of the "sudden" tail often seen in females

AliCat37
11-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Since she is a female a feeding of one good sized mouse every 7 days would be perfect. Males are more commonly cut down to 14-21 days as adults. I would say that 6 mice a week is way too much. I would not worry too much about not seeing poop yet, sometimes it just takes longer. And if you fed her a medium rat she could have gone into shed, in which case she will poop when she sheds.

Nanci
11-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Can you post a picture of her? An adult female in good health and weight should be eating one normal-sized adult mouse every 10-14 days.

schnebbles
11-19-2011, 01:53 PM
My yearling has had 2 feedings w/no poop. She did poop once though and it was nasty! I don't think you would have missed it. Stinky!

AdamF
11-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Here are some pics. Input is appreciated

Nanci
11-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Your new girl is very, very overweight. You can even see fat deposits on the lower portion of her body, and you should _not_ be able to see her skin between her scales. Some things you can do to help her lose weight are DAILY exercise- maybe 15-30 minutes- of stair climbing, swimming, going for walks (she does the walking!!), being twined around your hands. In addition, she needs to have her food supply cut _way_ back to what a normal adult female would be eating. One _medium_ 21-25 gram mouse no more often than every 14 days. As she gets active and starts losing weight, you could even go to every three weeks. (Don't worry, she will not starve; I have three "'easy keepers" that are on a 21 day schedule of medium adult mice and they still gain slowly but steadily). She is _way_ too overweight to consider breeding in 2012, if you had that in mind!

Good luck!

AdamF
11-20-2011, 09:33 AM
thanks Nanci. I was afraid of that.

no turkey for her on Thanksgiving!

Nanci
11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh- you don't need a night temp drop for cornsnakes, either. If you do have a drop, I wouldn't go lower than 78-80 degrees in her warm area. She needs to stay warm 24 hours a day to digest.

RaLaser
11-23-2011, 07:38 PM
When I first got my corn in February of this year, I didn't notice any poop for several weeks, even though he ate regularly. Even now, he is the ... least-poopy of them all... My king being the most active pooper. x_x

AdamF
11-23-2011, 08:47 PM
Put her in a "bath". pooped in 5 mins!

erikamoore
11-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I have two corns that ate Saturday and neither have pooped yet, unless I've some how missed it and I feed everysaturday should I not feed until they poop or what? And is it normal for them not to have pooped they each ate two ex small pinkys and cage temp is perfect neither have lumps and both are acting normal

Forcedexile
11-25-2011, 03:54 PM
well you should be able to see if they still have the poop inside them if they're that small. With my corn you can actually see the poop building up near his vent then he'll poop about an hour later.