• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Don't give up on non-feeders!

iculatr

NO...WIRE...HANGERS!!!
Today is a great day! After Troy has been working with a few non-feeders over the last few weeks, today marks the day they have started eating on their own without any help! I love days like this! I also had two fussy eaters finally start eating a regular portioned meal as well, so that's an added bonus! :)

Jarrett

It's wonderful when that happens isn't it? out of the five non feeders I worked with, two made it to their first birthday (barely) and that was with me force feeding them every week. The lone survivor is now 2 and about 60g but she's eating on her own now!

We've worked with a few each year and it is always rewarding to see them thrive afterwards. Some of the non-feeders we worked with last year are some of our best eaters now! Funny how that happens...

Great news Jarrett and Troy! I can go a few rounds with them, but if they don't start, _and_ won't tease feed, wow, do I get frustrated! You have to have extreme patience with non-feeders.

Great news Jarrett and Troy! I can go a few rounds with them, but if they don't start, _and_ won't tease feed, wow, do I get frustrated! You have to have extreme patience with non-feeders.

I don't know how Troy does it! Any time I've ever tried, I've had no luck. Maybe he has some snake feeding super powers lol!

I'm working with 4 non-feeders right now and with excellent advice and help from Nanci, I think things might work. 2 of them ate with the slap feeding technique. The other 2 had tails.

Does anyone know, aside from an x-ray, how you would know if a baby corn had a jaw problem?

Congratulations!! I know I sat in my bathroom (quiet room) for probably an hour last night working with the 4. My back was sore, lol!

Well, I x-rayed Krinkle and his bones are so fine, I don't know how you'd ever get enough resolution to see a jaw problem on a hatchling.

What made the original owner think there was a jaw problem? Can you see anything odd?

PS- that is SO INCREDIBLE that two of them just ate on the first try, just like they're supposed to!!! Good work! You just saved two lives!!

Nanci - it's almost like something is crooked. When I opened her mouth, it was like the bottom side of her mouth was off, not even with the top. Hilary noticed it and so did I. She explained it just like I did when I saw her.

I have to try and feed those 2 again tonight, should be doing it now. I guess I'll do tails at least once more, then maybe try pinkies?

I love the feeling of success when they eat! It is nice to know I helped save them. And my little Taylor too. She is most precious.

ETA: I tried the 2 who had tails on the 25th tonight and one was not having anything to do with it, no matter what I did he spit it out. I think maybe the trick to no spitting out is not to let them move their head enough to be able to spit it out. Since I am brand new to this, is that correct?

The other one did ok with the tail, didn't eagerly take it and I had to open her mouth but she did end up swallowing it. I try to keep a little pressure on the tail most of the time so it can slowly go down and they swallow.

Last edited:
Back