PDA

View Full Version : frogs and lizards?

frogs and lizards?

Aurora13
05-08-2004, 01:43 PM
when my corn gets a little older i want to put some variety in her diet. what kind of frogs,lizards or birds are acceptable alternatives to mice and rats?

Neumann
05-08-2004, 03:14 PM
It's my understanding that you might not want to do that. Corn snakes can satisfy all of their nutritional needs from mice and rats and I don't think they care about "variety" like you and I might. Also, if you offer your snake lizards and frogs it might never go back to eating mice and rats which I understand are less expensive than the lizard diet.

There are others on this forum whom I know feed their Corns baby chicks and other small critters, so they may have more information to offer than me.

Cheers,
Jason

Aurora13
05-08-2004, 06:27 PM
the reason i bring this up is because i was reviewing my Corn snake manual....(basically the corn snake bible around here) and the Loves point out that a corn snake would benefit from variety in their diet.

anybody else have any info?

Tim Madsen
05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
I haven't read the cornsnake manual, but I can tell you that if you feed your corn lizards and frogs, you'll need to be prepared to treat it for parasites. Unless of coarse you can provide parasite free lizards and frogs. Sounds like a lot of expense without much value. It might be a better idea to give supplements, although I personally don't see much value in that either. I believe Rich thinks it's a good idea to give supplements.