PDA

View Full Version : one mite???

one mite???

peteypablo
05-08-2004, 06:31 PM
I was holding my baby Kai today and I noticed this tiny little speck crawling around on her. I dont know if it's a mite or not, because as I've read mites are black, but this was one was red-like. After I took that one off, I carefully looked over her entire body and I couldn't see any more, and I checked her viv( hides, branches, leaves, waterdish) and I didnt see anything. I was also looking through the substrate, but with it being Repti-Bark, I wasn't really able to see anything. Now my question is, do I not worry about it since I only saw one, or can I assume where there is one, there's more to come? Also, If I do clean out her viv, do I throw everything inside her viv away,besides the waterdish of course? Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :wavey:

MegF.
05-08-2004, 09:44 PM
I've seen little red spider mites that are tiny and red like you've described, but I don't think they bother snakes much. I would just clean out the viv, treat it with a bleach water mix and use some bleach and hot water on the water dish, hides and branches. I'm sure it will be fine. Keep an eye out for any others and treat for mites if you do.

peteypablo
05-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Should I keep the substrate and just rinse it real well, or should I lay a paper towel bottom?

MegF.
05-09-2004, 10:26 PM
I would maybe use some paper towel for a while until you're sure that you don't have mites. Then go back to the reptibark.

peteypablo
05-10-2004, 02:15 AM
okay, thanx for all the help:)