PDA

View Full Version : Back to Tails! or Live?

Back to Tails! or Live?

schnebbles
12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I think me trying to work with that ferret food is stressing me more than the poor snakes! I tried a tea-strainer but then I'm only left with liquid? Would that be smart? I know I can get them to take tails. It's not that I can't get the tube down, it's that food keeps messing me up and getting stuck.

I tried with 3 snakes, had 3 fails. One snake has a pinky with him now, slit a little in the back.

It sure seems like there could be something easier to work with, apparently not though.

So, I'm back to tails, this way I know they are eating something. They have pooped so I guess that's good.

I just don't know how long I can get away with just tails - or should I try live pinks? Which I will absolutely hate but I'd try it and leave the room.

The 2 keys that ate first, won't eat now. One is blue so I better leave him be for now.

I now realize how lucky I got with the non-feeder I was given!

Holly12
12-07-2011, 12:28 AM
I see that you are so strees out over this and I know I would be if I was in your shoes for sure. All you can do is keep trying and hope that they come around I have to say I have been lucky with my frist corn snake I have he eats really well and the new one has a nice body weight so I see he will eat good for me when this sunday I feed him.

AliCat37
12-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Have you tried slitting their heads?
I've been doing that for my babies, and they literally lept out of their tubs tonight and coiled around them like they were alive. It was gross, blood went everywhere- but man, I like that feeding response any day. I imagine you can go on rat tails longer than mouse tails. You can always cut up pinkies and force feed parts.. it's a bit more of a pain than tails, but there's more meat there.

Fatman608
12-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Go down to your local pet store and get 3 live pinkies and give it a try. I would first call the store to make sure that they have very small pinkies. The local pet store here gets their live pinkies delivered on Thursday. So, if I tried getting day old pinkies on Wednesday I would be out of luck.

schnebbles
12-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes, it's beyond frustrating. Ali - Between Hilary and I, we have tried everything! Slitting heads might not have been tried yet though.

This might sound dumb, but if you buy more than I need (not my plan, just wondered) is there any way to keep them? If so how?

I think live might be the best way to try. I don't have access to rat tails, unless I go buy rats. I have plenty of mice.

I just feel like I'm causing undo stress to these little ones! (and me!) Gonna see if I can get 3 live ones it can't hurt, nothing can hurt!

Nanci
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
The pinks die in about a day, without food. If your non-feeders don't eat them overnight, then feed them to something else the next day.

schnebbles
12-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Nanci, that's so obvious, I didn't think of it, lol!