PDA

View Full Version : A few sneezes... shedding or should I worry?

A few sneezes... shedding or should I worry?

JennaJ
12-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi everyone,
I searched and did reading on various threads for this, but I wanted a consult. I had hoped not to start a new thread- I tried using older, related threads as a platform for my current question, but I haven't gotten a response yet and I wanted to know what some experienced corn keepers think of this situation:

On Saturday and Sunday (12/3 and 12/4), Sneak sneezed a handful of times in the evenings. Not with much consistency and not that many times. I also noticed she only sneezed while actively moving around in her cage. She didn't sneeze at all while we held her. We haven't seen any discharge form the nose or mouth. Right away I changed her from Reptibark to aspen (I did notice the Reptibark to be somewhat dusty, especially towards the bottom of the bag...) hoping that was the issue. Mon and Tues no sneezing was heard. I feed her normally and she ate with no problems.

Then I thought maybe her upcoming shed could be the culprit. But that would make the sneezing a little over a week (8-9 days) from when she's "scheduled" to shed. Would that be too soon to hear sneezing or anything associated with that?

I'm wondering if any of you think I should take her to the vet tomorrow morning (a little over 48 hours after her meal). I'm thinking I probably will, but does it sound like I should be concerned?

Thanks for your time!

RobbiesCornField
12-07-2011, 03:41 AM
It sounds like it was just dust from the bedding. I think you should hold off a bit before scheduling a vet visit.

bitsy
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd agree with Robbie. Unless she develops other symptoms which give alarm, I'd indulge in what my vet calls "watchful waiting". I certainly don't see much point in disturbing her so soon after a meal.

JennaJ
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I thought the sneezes could be from it being a bit dry, too (that time of year...). I'll hold off on the vet visit and keep watching over the next few days to see what happens/doesn't happen :) Thanks for the input!