PDA

View Full Version : First snake, first feeding problem.

First snake, first feeding problem.

Caden
12-09-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a female, she's at least two years old. She was a rescue.
She just shed last night, all clean with no issues. Is it too soon to be offering food again? She'll move over to the mouse and tongue flick it, but then goes back into her hide. Is she just not hungry, or should I be worried? The last time she ate was before she went blue, 11/23.
Also, is it okay to refreeze a mouse if she doesn't take it? I haven't been, but if it won't hurt anything I'd rather not waste.

Christen
12-09-2011, 05:56 PM
No shouldn't be to soon. I am assuming you are feeding in the tank? I would reheat the mouse till it is hot and then offer again and leave the room maybe even cover the tank. She might just be a little shy.

bitsy
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Try leaving the mouse in there overnight. Sometimes absolute dark and quiet helps them feel more secure.

Personally, I wouldn't refreeze an uneaten thawed mouse.

AliCat37
12-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I know many don't refreeze, I will refreeze once and if they don't take it, I bury it in the back yard or feed it to my chickens. If you live in a more rural area you can always toss it out in the back of your property to help feed a fox or something as the weather gets colder. I know they say not to feed the wildlife, but who doesn't appreciate a free meal in the winter?
As for feeding the snake..leaving it over night just by the opening of her hide may entice her to eat as well. But two weeks is not too long for her to go without food.

Holly12
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
My new corn snake I have found that he is shy when it comes to feeding he will not eat if he can see you and you can see him. The other corn snake he does not mind if you see him eat so like everyone said just leaving it in her cage over night and see if she eats it then. Sounds lie she is shy about you or other things get in the way when she want to have private time for feeding. And I would not refreeze the mouse once it has been thawed out just throw it away or give it to wild animals. :)

Caden
12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I tried leaving it in overnight, it was still there around noon today. I rewarmed it, but if she doesn't take it by bedtime I think i'll just wait another week. Does that sound okay?
Also, she didn't seem shy about eating in front of me before. I've fed her twice and she ate regardless of whether I was there or not, and always seemed just fine. So this is kind of odd for her, but I guess it could be the season?

Christen
12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
It could be the season but yes it wouldn't hurt to wait a week and try again. That is what I would do if it were my snake.

Caden
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Okay, so I tried to feed her again today. But, as I was thawing out the mouse, I came to check on her in her feeding tub. She pooped?! She hasn't eaten in weeks, so what happened? Could it have been an impaction?

bitsy
12-22-2011, 06:21 PM
As long as the poop was normal-looking, I wouldn't worry. They can hold it in for a while during the shed cycle sometimes.

Bear in mind that Corns usually sleep during the day and are most active at dawn, dusk and overnight. It could be that feeding during the day isn't ideal for her. Have you tried offering food in the evening, just before you go to bed, and then leaving her with it overnight?

Apart from that, I'd just do a quick double-check that the temp in the tank is OK, as too cool or too hot can put them off eating (the wrong temp can affect digestion). If that's as expected and she has no obvious issues such as weight-loss, then I think it's just a matter of trying her with food once a week until she gets the message.

Caden
01-07-2012, 01:44 AM
She still hasn't eaten, but she seems just fine. I've started weighing her about every two weeks just to make sure she's not losing a lot, but that seems okay too. She drinks, comes out and still enjoys being handled, she was just climbing and digging around in her viv a few minutes ago, so I don't know what's up. Temps are good, I've tried leaving her with the mouse overnight on paper towels so she won't eat any of the substrate, and I've tried feeding her in a 12 and more recently a 28q tub, in case the 12 was just too small, both covered, but still nothing? Most recent try was about three days ago, so I'm waiting another few.
Should I be concerned about it, since the last time she actually ate was the end of November? Or should I just keep offering about every week or so?

ceduke
01-07-2012, 02:12 AM
One of my snakes went off feed for almost four months not too long ago and only lost a few grams the entire time. Try not to stress, I know it's hard when they're being so difficult...Offer every week or so, offering more frequently seems to stress a lot of snakes out when they're not eating.