PDA

View Full Version : MARS Reptile Show

MARS Reptile Show

CornsnakeKeeper
06-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Which major cornsnake breeders attend this show? I might try to make it to it this year... Since there is so much competition, do the breeders (Rich??) have any cheaper prices? Or another question, do the big breeders give discounts on pairs?

Is this like one of the largest in the country? Do you, Rich, take most of your inventory to these shows?

Elaphe_Mo
06-20-2002, 09:02 AM
I know Rich and also Kathy Love attend this show, as well as many others. There's always a great selection (though I usually end up spending all my money at Rich's table before I look at much else). It is a huge show and lots of fun.

Rich Z
06-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Yes, we do the Mid Atlantic show every year. I was born and raised in Baltimore, so I get to see a lot of my friends that I only see that one time of year. Plus Tim and Diane Hoen (the promoters of the show) are personal friends of ours and we like to support what they are doing for the rainforests.

I bring a real good selection of animals to the show, but it's not possible to bring the majority of my stock. The van is only SO big, and can only hold so many styros. I usually figure on selling 25 percent of whatever I bring to that show. If I had a crystal ball that would tell me what that 25 percent was going to be, I could make sure I brought more of them and leave the rest at home. ;)

As far as prices are concerned, they are pretty much what you see on my price list. Understand that there is a LOT of overhead associated with doing a show. Tables cost us several hundred dollars, then there is the motel room, traveling expenses, meals, etc. I am doing my taxes for last year (still!) and for the Mid Atlandtic Show alone, our expenses just for doing the show are over $1,000. If I were to also cut prices on the animals, then doing such a show would not be a very smart idea, business wise. I would be better off just staying at home and give away $2,000 worth of animals so as not to have to make that 17 hour drive (one way) and be away from the feeding schedule for 6 to 7 days.

Sigh..... yeah I know, I could probably save a LOT of money at that show if I didn't go out to O'Brycki's for dinners, but heck, that's one of my major reasons for wanting to go back to Maryland that weekend!

CornsnakeKeeper
06-20-2002, 01:07 PM
I have to try to go. I know most of of my money will end up being spent at Rich's table as well... sigh. Gotta weasle some more snakes into my house... hey Rich, how about a price break for the "300 post" board members? LOL :D

sue frederick
06-21-2002, 05:55 PM
We drive up to the show every year and stay over on Saturday night, even though we live less than an hour away. It makes for a great weekend getaway, plus we can use the multi-day $1 discount for the second day ticket.
sue frederick

Rich Z
06-22-2002, 01:24 PM
O'Brycki's is located at 1727 E. Pratt St. in downtown Baltimore. Not far from the Inner Harbor area.

O'Brycki's Crab House (http://www.obryckis.com)

Some of the best seafood to be had. We gorge on dinner, then buy some crabcakes 'to go' for lunch the next day.

Every year we do the Mid Atlantic Show, my only goal is to make enough money there to pay for our dinners!
:rolleyes:

Tim Madsen
06-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Rich are you guys going to do the Virginia all Captive Bred show this year? Enjoyed talking to you there last year.