PDA

View Full Version : Will not eat.

Will not eat.

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Good Morning all my corn snake shed lastnight and now he does not want to eat why do they do this? lol. Should I try again on Friday or maybe on Saturday? I don't know why all of the sudden he will not eat for me but if anyone can help me out on this that would be great thanks. :):confused:

Nanci
12-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I'd wait till Saturday. How old is he/what feeding schedule is he on?

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I'd wait till Saturday. How old is he/what feeding schedule is he on?

He looks to be like 6 months old this is my first corn snake not the new one he was eating every 3 days. But I will go on what you said and wait he was eating good and now he won't even touch it. I will wait and see what he does later on in the week thanks Nanci. :)

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
every 3 days? at 6 months old? Do I have that right? or maybe I missed something??

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
every 3 days? at 6 months old? Do I have that right? or maybe I missed something??

I'm not understanding you here?

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I think it is 6 months old I could be wrong I'm just guessing here.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 09:29 AM
He looks to be like 6 months old this is my first corn snake not the new one he was eating every 3 days. But I will go on what you said and wait he was eating good and now he won't even touch it. I will wait and see what he does later on in the week thanks Nanci. :)

This is what I was questioning :) Just wanted to make sure I had all the facts correct before offering advice. Thats all. I was just abit confused and had to ask you a question :)

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
That is okay I was not understanding you sorry loll I just don't understand why he would eat and now he won't makes no sense to me. And his temps are all good and he shed all in one so I'm not sure.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Is this the snake that you are feeding every 3 days?? 3 days is really close for any snake. I would do as Nanci has suggested. She knows more than I ever probably will! hehe :) I have to admit she is my go to person when I have a question on just about any snake topic! :)

Hopefully the next time you try to feed, he will jump on it and slurp it down :)

Holly12
12-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Is this the snake that you are feeding every 3 days?? 3 days is really close for any snake. I would do as Nanci has suggested. She knows more than I ever probably will! hehe :) I have to admit she is my go to person when I have a question on just about any snake topic! :)

Hopefully the next time you try to feed, he will jump on it and slurp it down :)

Okay thanks cat I hope so too because he is healthy looking and should be no reason why he should stop eating for me now lol. ;)

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Holly, can you answer me this question? How often are you offering him food? And what size?? :)

Carinata
12-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Maybe he's not eating because you're feeding him every 3 days :shrugs:

mini4x
12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Weigh it..

I feed based on weight, aka 'Munson Plan'

mini4x
12-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Maybe he's not eating because you're feeding him every 3 days :shrugs:

yes.. most only eat every 5-10 days. My 7 year old will only eat every 2 weeks or so, and will skip a week if she's shedding.

Carinata
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
yes.. most only eat every 5-10 days. My 7 year old will only eat every 2 weeks or so, and will skip a week if she's shedding.

Been keeping reptiles almost 10 years, I'm pretty seasoned at it! I've had some that are like that, and some that are the complete opposite and want to eat every-time I pull open their bin!

Holly12
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Holly, can you answer me this question? How often are you offering him food? And what size?? :)

I give him his food anywhere from 3 to 4 days and they are same size he has been eating medium to large pinkies.

Nanci
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
That is WAY too frequent. _Some_ experienced breeders _might_ feed at a four day interval under special circumstances but it is not something a novice should be messing around with. You should be feeding him every five to seven days.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 01:46 PM
oh my gosh! Who told you to feed him so often??

If he is eating that size, then yes, please put him on atleast a 5 day schedule. That is probably the problem right there :) too much too often.

MTAlJams
12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Probably just the time of the year. My snake does weird stuff like that all the time where he won't eat for weeks, sometimes it's in the Winter or other times in the Spring. Who knows why.

Hexadeci
12-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you mean 3 days between feeds? Like, if you feed on Monday the 1st, then you wait 3 days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), then feed on Friday (the 5th)? That might still be too often (equates to 1 in every 4 days being a feed day). Or do you mean that you feed every 3 days, like if you feed on Monday the 1st, the next feed day is Thursday (the 4th)?

Cat_Eyed_Lady
12-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Winter because its heat isnt high enough??
spring because males are too busy thinking of other things to think about eating.

I am one of the whos and those are usually the reason why. :D lol

mini4x
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Oh and yes WEIGH your snake.. weight typcailly determines how often and what size to feed.. I got a digital scale for like $20 on amazon.

This is the one I have..
http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale-2810-2KG/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1323809056&sr=8-10

If you are feeding a 300g snake pinkies it would probably eat everyday... and still be hungry..

Holly12
12-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Okay all thank you for your advise I will start feeding once a week and see if he will take it then your all right I'm feeding way to often. :)

Lennycorn
12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
So Holly you been feeding the snake every three days??

If so you need to sit back and start reading ALL the sticky on the forums and get Kathy and Dons book too.
You been on the forum alot and you should of known this.

Not picking...just sayin'

Holly12
12-13-2011, 05:40 PM

If so you need to sit back and start reading ALL the sticky on the forums and get Kathy and Dons book too.

Yeah I'm sorry I will do that hope I did not make ya upset with me.

starsevol
12-13-2011, 05:53 PM

hey Holly...this guy here, Lenny his name is...He's a good guy. He means well, but he's no poet, if you know what I mean.
If he's mean to you, want me to smack him for ya?
Because I will!! :)

Holly12
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
hey Holly...this guy here, Lenny his name is...He's a good guy. He means well, but he's no poet, if you know what I mean.

Huh? I'm not understanding here I'm confused.

Lennycorn
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Hey!!!!!.....You should hear me Rap!!

You can smack me now.

Please...

Christen
12-13-2011, 06:50 PM
They are just teasing each other Holly.

Holly12
12-13-2011, 06:53 PM
They are just teasing each other Holly.

Oh okay I see now. :)

schnebbles
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Holly - I know you must have had a bad incident here but you don't always need to feel lik you've made someone mad, I've never seen anyone really mad here that I can think of.

I feed my snakes every 5-7 days, depending on my mood mostly. That's plenty. If is't 6 months old, how much are you feeding? Is this the one you got from the friend's mom?

beautifullywild77
12-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I feed mine anywhere between 5 and 7 days depending on their age and what they are eating!
Holly, we are all here to learn, some more than others! :) But I am gonna bet just like the others that your lil guy isnt eating simply because he just isnt hungry! Hang in there toots. It does get a bit easier with time and more experiences. I would join iherp.com keep track of your feedings and everything else. Sometimes its easy to forget somethings and for back up you can keep a spiral notebook next to the tanks and write it down there.
Good Luck with your scalebabies!
Steph

Holly12
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Holly - I know you must have had a bad incident here but you don't always need to feel lik you've made someone mad, I've never seen anyone really mad here that I can think of.

I feed my snakes every 5-7 days, depending on my mood mostly. That's plenty. If is't 6 months old, how much are you feeding? Is this the one you got from the friend's mom?

No this is not the new one I got this one I have had for 2 months now.

starsevol
12-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Yes, Holly. That Lennycorn guy (his real name is Dave), I have known him a few years now and in all the time I have known him, I have only seen him really upset with one person, ever!! And that person is a bit annoying (and is not you!).

No worries girl, no one here is mad at you!

Holly12
12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Yes, Holly. That Lennycorn guy (his real name is Dave), I have known him a few years now and in all the time I have known him, I have only seen him really upset with one person, ever!! And that person is a bit annoying (and is not you!).

No worries girl, no one here is mad at you!

Okay thanks I'm new on all of this and I'm also a worried mom loll so I ask all of the questions because I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything to hurt my baby corns. ;)

Lennycorn
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
And that person is a bit annoying (and is not you!).

A BIT ANNOYING!!!!!

lol lol lol

Christen
12-14-2011, 05:43 PM
WOAH Now I got to know who this person is.

Holly12
12-17-2011, 04:33 PM
My first corn snake the one who was not eating has pass away 2 days ago I thought that I could save him by taking him to the vet. But it was to late and I'm very hurt over this this is the second corn I have lost. I don't understand I know I'm doing everything right my heart is broke he was awesome what could of went wrong?. :cry:

starsevol
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Holly are you sure the temps were ok?
When you lost your last baby did you clean the cage really really well with bleach?
I am so sorry to hear this! I don't understand it either!

Have you read Kathy's book, Cornsnake, the Comprehensive Owner's Guide?

Holly12
12-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Holly are you sure the temps were ok?
When you lost your last baby did you clean the cage really really well with bleach?
I am so sorry to hear this! I don't understand it either!

Have you read Kathy's book, Cornsnake, the Comprehensive Owner's Guide?

This is not the new corn snake I just got this is the other corn snake I had for 2 months. The new one is doing great he ate for me yesterday and that one is doing really good. The other one I have had for a while and he was the one that was not eating for me anymore. And yes the temps are great and he was growing really well I'm lost on what could have happen to this guy. :(

starsevol
12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
This is not the new corn snake I just got this is the other corn snake I had for 2 months. The new one is doing great he ate for me yesterday and that one is doing really good. The other one I have had for a while and he was the one that was not eating for me anymore. And yes the temps are great and he was growing really well I'm lost on what could have happen to this guy. :(

I am so glad your new one is still ok, you scared me for a minute!

Holly12
12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
I am so glad your new one is still ok, you scared me for a minute!

LOL sorry I thought you knew who I was talking about sorry for the miss understanding.