PDA

View Full Version : My hungry corn snake.

My hungry corn snake.

JKD1
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I was advised by some other people on the forum to post in this section with questions regarding my 9(ish) month corn snake, Dexter. He (never confirmed his sex, but the guy at the store thinks it's a he) is an amelanistic snake my partner and I got from a pet store 3 months ago. In that time he's shed once, in mid November. We have him on two pinkies once every 7 days currently. That's what he's been eating since we got him. Recently he's been acting very hungry on feeding days, and a day prior. He tends to burrow when he's hungry, he doesn't do it otherwise. On feeding days we put him in a clear breeder box for about 20 minutes and then feed him his thawed pinkies (thawed in warm water till they're warm themselves), one at a time, waiting till the first one is down in his belly. Recently he's taken to leaping up at the tongs and grabbing it right off. He actually was so eager last week that he lept up right as I opened the top of the box and he managed to bite into the tongs as well as the pinkie. I had to shake him off, which of course was a bit upsetting in itself since I don't want to harm him.

I'm concerned he might not be satisfied with what he's getting to eat since he never was this voracious before, even though he's always been a good eater.

Thank you for your time.

snakewispera snr
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Twas me Carol...... Experienced hand, an all that.... You know your stuff and would be a good person to ask advice...

carol
12-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi!
It is probably a combination of him needing a larger prey size and him really getting comfortable with his new surroundings. I would try bumping him up to fuzzies. May I ask why you wait 20 minutes before feeding him in the tub?

JKD1
12-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi Carol,

We actually got this issue resolved with the help of some other forum members the other day, thank you for your response though.

We were advised that it is wise to 1) move the snake into a different environment when feeding him and 2) allow him time to adjust to this tub before feeding him. Are we doing something wrong?

Shiari
12-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Not wrong, but there's no real need. For example, with my babies, I put the pinky in the tub before the snake's even in there, and they go right for it.