PDA

View Full Version : Dry patches on scales...

Dry patches on scales...

visceralrepulsion
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
My adult Corn, Lars, sometimes gets a couple flakey patches on his back where just a very fine layer of the scales peel up and kind of stick up, basically. I'm curious as to what I could do to help rid this issue. It's not severe or anything, I just don't want it to result in a possibley bad shed when the time comes, etc. His humidity is fine, it stays around 53-60%. Does anyone know if its safe to use a thin layer of bacitracin ointment, vasoline, or Aquafur on the peeling scales, if used sparingly and rubbed in well? Thanks =].

visceralrepulsion
12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Oh, and also I've considered misting him a couple times a day for a bit to see if this helps, or possibley giving him a soak?

Dorgrim
12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
If your snake blumbers about its cage like mine it sounds like the scale has just been pushed backwards and might be peeling because of it. its just a scrape it sounds like. If there is no discoloration and its maybe 3-4 scales I wouldnt worry too much. but thats my $.02.

visceralrepulsion
12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
He doesn't really do anything zany in his viv that I've ever witnessed. Atleast not until springtime when hes love-hungry and then hes allllllover his viv, haha. It's a small patch of several scales. Maybe I should try a soak and see if that helps first. If not then I'd like to know about using some kind of ointment, if it's safe, etc.

Dorgrim
12-15-2011, 08:46 PM
He doesn't really do anything zany in his viv that I've ever witnessed. Atleast not until springtime when hes love-hungry and then hes allllllover his viv, haha. It's a small patch of several scales. Maybe I should try a soak and see if that helps first. If not then I'd like to know about using some kind of ointment, if it's safe, etc.

if you have a pic that would also help! A soak never hurts! as far as ointment, I wouldnt worry about anything unless the skin is broken or there is discoloration/puss. Its on his dorsal side right? if its the ventral side I would watch for scale rot or something of the sort.

i know as far as ointment, anything without painkillers should be fine, and avoid hydrogen peroxide. a betadine solution would be fine as well!

visceralrepulsion
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
if you have a pic that would also help! A soak never hurts! as far as ointment, I wouldnt worry about anything unless the skin is broken or there is discoloration/puss. Its on his dorsal side right? if its the ventral side I would watch for scale rot or something of the sort.

i know as far as ointment, anything without painkillers should be fine, and avoid hydrogen peroxide. a betadine solution would be fine as well!

Yes, it's on his dorsal side. Ill try and get a picture tomorrow, can't at the moment. Maybe I'll try a soak tomorrow, then a bit of vasoline or aquafur, or neosporin without the painkiller ingredient. I don't want to lather it on, just rub in a fine layer to help the peely scales flakes heal, or come off gentley on their own. The soak is going to be an ordeal though, Lars hates water unless it's in mist form, haha.