PDA

View Full Version : corn vs. rosy boa

corn vs. rosy boa

hsuANsTerZ
05-12-2004, 05:52 PM
I am thinking about purchasing my first snake in a few months. And I narrowed it down to a corn snake and rosy boa. Which one is easier to care for in terms of feeding and handling? Any suggestions welcome

kenster
05-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Well I have both corns and rosys in my collection. As babies corns can be a bit jumpy and are very quick to try to excape. Rosys on the other hand are very mellow and move pretty slow. It is tough for me to pick one over the other. Why don't you just get a pair of each;) Oh the other good thing about rosys is they give live birth so no need for incubators and worry about watching eggs. Although you will only get 6 babies per clutch where as with corns you will get many more eggs..

Here is a pic of my rosys, they are white waters..

http://www.kenssnakes.com/two%20heads.jpg

reptilerick
05-16-2004, 08:20 PM
pretty snakes Ken

I never should have sold my albinos !~$#$

Simon
05-17-2004, 08:35 AM
I definitely agree with Ken...
its very hard to choose from Rosy or Corn....I too have both in my collection but I have more corns since there are a lot more varieties in corns than rosies....

if you I can only keep one snake...it'll definitely take me a long time to choose over either one....

As Ken has stated already, rosies are slow and mostly mellow and give live birth where as corns are jumpy (mostly at hatchlings)and lay eggs

Both are great starter snakes in my opinion~

gelshark
09-19-2010, 12:07 AM
i would vote corn snake, but i never had a rosy boa
i think the rosys are not as pretty as corns though

Nanci
09-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I have lots of corns and one rosy boa. Noah the BOA!!!!!!! has never given me a minute of trouble. She's very laid back. I think as long as you get a rosy boa that is feeding well, they are an easy snake. Can you go to a shop or show or something and get a chance to handle both? They are very different...

Tavia
09-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Both!
Seriously, that would be a difficult choice. The rosy you can take out & hold while you watch TV or type on the computer. They explore a bit but for the most part tend to stay put, so you don't have to devote a lot of attention to it. The corns usually explore way more when they are out so you have to pay a bit more attention to them while handling them. But that also makes them more interactive & satisfying to some people. I would suggest, if you can, handling both species before buying one so you can get a feel for their differences & a better idea of what you'd like more.