PDA

View Full Version : not eating

not eating

HerrL1116
12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Ok guys so my baby buckskin okeetee always eats on wednesdays I had him for 3 weeks now usually when he eats it takes him a while to notice it (F/T PINKIES) then he eats, well this Wednesday he didn't want to even come in contact with the pinkie I tried feeding him a live one and nothing he hasnt eaten for TEN DAYS!!! this happened when I put him in a tub in my rack system WHAT DO I DO?

willderphil
12-31-2011, 10:59 PM
Well first off don't stress ten days is nothing even for even a baby especially if he has already had some meals. Don't try to feed everyday. Just feeding too often can make your baby be even more stressed. You can try to feed every five days. Make sure that your temps are right (about 85 on the warm side) otherwise he can have digestion problems. if your temps are right and still not feeding you can try a lot of things. you can try silcing slits on the pinkie, or bashing in the babies head (called braining), or feeding just mouse tails, or scenting with tuna, or lizard, or ASF's. you can try wiggling the pinkie in front of it but not too close that your snake gets scared let him taste the air and come to it. or you can try leaving the snake and pinkie in a covered feeding box overnight.
My first snake had feeding problems and I

willderphil
12-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I meant to say that My first snake had feeding problems when I was younger and I had a lot of ad advice from the pet store and was young and stupid and he ended up dieing. I havent had problems with my new snake but have read the forums enough to know what to do in case it ever happens.

MegF.
12-31-2011, 11:52 PM
It's possible that the move to the rack has stressed him out a bit. I'd give him at least a week and then offer a very hot frozen/thawed pinky in the tub. If you have substrate in there, remove it and put in paper towel. If he doesn't eat, wait a week and try again. He might also be getting ready to shed and many snakes won't eat during the entire process until they shed. Babies can go months and months without eating so I wouldn't worry too much. If he's eaten before, he will again. Be patient and avoid stressing him out until he's eating again.

HerrL1116
12-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks alot guys thanks for all the help I just don't want a dieing corn is all thanks everyone

AliCat37
01-01-2012, 03:37 AM
I've had babies go almost four months without a meal! So you definitely don't have to worry about a few skipped meals :)
My ball python hasn't eaten since early October.

bitsy
01-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Some Corns really don't like change and will register their disapproval by not eating. My old male has gone on a hunger strike lasting months when I've moved him to a new viv in the past.

My advice would be to treat him like a new arrival - leave him completely alone for a week to settle into his new home. Then try offering food after that.

CornyApollo
01-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I agree with everyone else's advice. Give him time to adjust, then try feeding him again. Down the road, if he's still not feeding, there are many other methods to try and get him to feed that you can look into if needed.

Snakes are pretty awesome animals, as they don't need food as often as we do. :)

HerrL1116
01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
So today he ate again :) I got mice because I wanted to breed them rubbed the thawed out pinkie on their fur got the prey scent and he ate it so he's back and hopefully more better than before

MegF.
01-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Great news! I'm sure he'll continue to do fine.

HerrL1116
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I know I really hope so thank you