PDA

View Full Version : E. Guttata guttata, now P. guttatus

E. Guttata guttata, now P. guttatus

Stephen29
05-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Today I received the July issue of Reptiles magazine. I was surprized to see the article on pg 42, about the scientific re-naming of the Cornsnake E. guttata guttata to Pantherophis guttatus.
For those of you, who may not have seen the issue yet, the article talks about, how through DNA testing it was found that North American ELAPHE were more closely related to the other New World genera Lampropeltis and Pituophis, than Asian or European Ratsnakes.
Thus the name Pantherophis, dating back to 1840's was brought back. This could take some getting used to.
Would like to hear, your thoughts on the issue.

Sincerly, Stephen Howard

Shaky
05-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Stephen,
Pantherophis has been being flashed around for about a year or so now. Some have already accepted it and use it, most have ignored it. The jury is still out on whether the name will stick.

iluvsammy
05-14-2004, 11:34 AM
that's interesting i still refer it to Elaphe guttata guttata. I don't like that p--- word it's to complicated. :):eek:

Shaky
05-14-2004, 12:37 PM
If it were up to me, I'd leave it as pantherophis. I like the name. Yeah, I was used to Elaphe, but its time the Old Worlds and new worlds were split, IMO