PDA

View Full Version : Not shedding?

Not shedding?

Aaron1994
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
It has been almost 3 months and my year old corn has not shed yet. She did shed though twice in her time being with me but her scales are starting to look really dirty and she is not working on a new shed? or so it appears. she is a healthy normal eating curios corn snake from what i see but no new sheds?

Aaron1994
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
dirty as in shes really dark scaled and not bright and reflective

Lennycorn
01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Odd, What and how often do you feed your snake.

And what is your set up like, temps bedding and so on?

Aaron1994
01-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I feed her every 7 days rat fuzzies those huge pinkie like ones heh. She lives in a 24 gallon aquarium, she has outgrown it and is due for a tank change which is soon she is nearing 3 feet, she has a cold side hide a warm side hide and a large dish in the middle. Her hot side has been sitting on 88 degrees farenheit alot sometimes 90 the rheostat i have is now starting to get faulty and not control the temps well anymore but i got information that 90 degrees can be ok as long as they have proper cooling temperatures her cool side is 73 at the latest of night but returns to 74-75 degrees farenheit around 2am here. Her substrate is aspen, I give her 3 inches deep for ultimate free roam of tunneling and she loves it. Keep in mind though that she is not showing signs of illness and doesnt appear to be stressed in any way or showing stress she just wont shed? never had this problem before with her, she had perfect first 2 sheds but her third is no where to be found!! :(

AliCat37
01-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Her husbandry all sounds great, I suspect that she is probably not growing very much because she is being fed rats vs mice. Baby rats have very little nutrients and hardly and calcium. If you were to give her hopper mice, since they have a well formed skeleton, you may see more growth. I've never fed rats, but I know that as soon as I switch my corns off of mouse fuzzies and onto hoppers their growth takes off. That's just my guess :shrugs:
Otherwise, I would just think that it may have something to do with it being winter. My boa grows and sheds like crazy in the summer, but he slows down in winter despite the food not changing. Those are my guesses! I honestly would not worry though, as long as she is eating.

Aaron1994
01-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Hmm I think I may switch her to hopper mice than, although I did restock on a 30 pack of frozen rat pinks got to utilize those still. Thanks for the tip! and yes as long as he has a full belly that is all that matters.

AliCat37
01-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Oh of course! I'd never let anything go to waste either haha. It's just a suggestion, I'm not sure if that is it, but judging from how mine grow so much faster once they hit hoppers, it could be the reason.