PDA

View Full Version : going into shed maybe?

going into shed maybe?

wowfood
01-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm pretty sure my corn is getting ready to shed soon, however it's the first time shedding at home so I'm not certain on if it is or not. I'll just post the few signs I have and have not soon

Spent three days buried in the exact same spot (with a little wiggle room) of its enclosure, since moving from being buried there they still haven't really moved much.

Eye's look like they might be starting to cloud, hard to see though because the bugger hates eye contact.

Skin has started to go dull, (he's normally almost dark grey / white, how he's gone to a kinda dark charcoal and light charcoal)

But at the same time

Still enjoys being handled, and he's still taking his food readily (I think I may need to up it to 2 pinks soon. Fed it today and the pink was gone in around 3 minutes, didn't leave much of a bump either)

So yeah, i'm getting mixed signals. Also it's been around 6 weeks since the last shed, and they're only 3 months old.

Last shed on 8th December 2011

So yeah, am I going crazy, are these early signs of shedding incoming and if so are there any other signs I should look for.

N@te
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
well i dont handle my corn much when hes sheding just mainly if i clean the tank..and my corn doesnt seem to be bothered when i handle it when its going through a shed.

N@te
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
and still takes food when ever my corn sheds..some are just different.

wowfood
01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Take that from a maybe to a yes. Came back from work just now and went to check on Snake, perfect shed.

A bit ragged around the mouth area of the shed but both eye caps are there and the tails there.

Right now he's resting beneath a half a kitchen roll. I'll pop up a pic of him tommorow, gonna let him rest today. Now that he's shed he looks to have flecks of yellow coming through near the neck. Do they go through any growth spurts just after shedding? Or will Snake continue on at the normal rate.

CornyApollo
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I feel ya on that one! We just experienced our first shed with our adopted Corn Apollo, but we assumed he was in shed. Now our adopted Ball, Basil, is going into shed. Both at similar times! :D They both readily accepted meals, and Basil was fine being held once he realized we wouldn't murder him.

I'm glad your snake had a fine shed! Basil's shed at his previous house was as ragged as can be, so I'm looking forward to him having a full shed with us considering we monitor his humidity closely to insure it's proper.

Congrats on having a successful shed! :)

wowfood
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Okay, i'm starting to think that rather than being an anery its actually a very VERY dark carolina.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/wowfood/Snake/P1240007.jpg

Now he was pretty much black / greyish as a hatchling, but now after its shed its kind've a brownish color. Could just be my eyes, but i'm pretty certain its carolina coloring, correct me if i'm wrong..

Buzzard
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Looks Anery to me...you would see a lot more red/orange in the Carolina/normal corns

wowfood
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I'll trust experience over paranoia. Probably just has what little color they've got showing through more right after the shed.