PDA

View Full Version : racks

racks

keng1111
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I was looking around for a baby/juvenile snake rack for under 300. I was wondering if anybody knows of a site with a good price like that if anybody has any good experiences with a site where they purchased a rack that is close in price to 300. Also, if anybody has one like that and wants to sell and is willing to ship.
Thanks

SquamishSerpents
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
How many babies are you looking to house, and what type of snakes? I'm assuming corn snakes?

Buzzard
01-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Hatchling racks are also easy to build, assuming you have the means and the room to build it. Most take a few hours to build and at half the price your thinking about. Plus you can customize it. Many people use shelves and convert them into hatchling racks. I also know that some people make temporary type racks with locking lid shoe boxes and heat tape and shelves. As babies sell, they take down the shelves and heat tape, until the next season. Just some food for thought.

SquamishSerpents
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I built a 72 slot hatchling rack for less than $200. That doesn't include water bowls (I got a really good deal on ceramic ones when I was working at our local pet store), but does include everything else, including heat tape. I went with 11" back heat and it works really well for them.

They are housed in the Glad containers, and I find the hatchlings do really well in this size of bin. Never had any problems with feeding.

http://squamishserpents.ca/wp-content/gallery/facility/february7-13-038.jpg

As you can see I hadn't finished putting in all the bins, or attaching the backing, but you get the idea. And another great thing about using these "disposable" bins (they go on sale for $3/pack of 4) is that when somebody purchases a hatchling, you can send them off in their current bin. I just keep all the lids on the top shelf of the rack.

Only drawback to this rack is that it is HEAVY, and you would need to be very careful when moving it.