• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake not eating

gcollins1990

Hey Everyone

Im new to the forum but i thought this would be a good place to start getting information before taking more drastic measures.

I have a corn snake for a little over 2 years after adopting her from a former owner who wasn't treating her right. She has always had a good temper, always been very easy to handle and clean out and i have never had any problems feeding her until now.

She has always been feed once a week on a Monday and at the moment she is on one large mouse. But she has now not accepted food for a month and im starting to get a bit worried. She is completely disinterested having a small sniff and then completely avoiding it, sometimes in the past it took her a while to eat it but now i am finding them in the morning untouched.

She doesn't appear to be losing weight and is still very easy to handle but i wanted to know if there is anything i can do before taking her to the vets as im not sure my local one will have much knowledge with exotic animals.

From what I hear its normal for this time of year for them to go off eating for a few months. She might just be wanting a boyfriend.

As long as she doesn't lose weight I wouldnt worry to much.

I would also check her temps and make sure they are all normal as well.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have just replaced her bulb and keeping her heat mat on a lot so the temp should be good for her. She has been wanting to come out of her Vivariam quite a lot recently and usually i wouldn't handle her unless she has been fed but i will try and give her more company.

If it does prove the case that she has gone off her food due to a seasonal thing would she give any signs as to when she is ready to feed again, except from trying to eat my finger?

Mine does this every year. He refuses to eat for weeks at a time. It's happening right now actually. I'd just keep trying to feed her every couple weeks.

With a heat mat and light, it's probably a wee bit too hot. Corns like a maximum temp of 90 degrees - which is below human core body temp. The heat mat should feel just about lukewarm when you touch it (although that's just a very rough guide and you really need a digital or infra-red thermometer to be sure).

If neither the mat nor the light are on thermostats or dimmers, then the temps could easily be 120+.

And it's just males that routinely go off their food during the mating season. Are you positive that "she's" a girl?

I suppose I'm lucky that both my male snakes are hearty eaters. I would never stop worrying about feeding even if I knew it was merely a seasonal change. :p But I'm an overbearing reptimother.

As bitsy said, it may be possible that your she is a he. If you don't want to probe or pop, you can also tell by the way the tail tapers at the end. It's not distinct unless you know what to look for, so try Google for some comparison images.

Back