PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question.

Feeding question.

arparaspolo
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I am about to feed my two corns for the second time this coming Friday. I fed them last friday(separately and in another container) They both go a pinkie each. My question is, neither of them took the time to kill their pinkies. They just started eating them alive, without first constricting. And it wasn't like they were super hungry either because neither immediately went after their prey. I believe they are about 2 to 3 months old. They both ate their dinner. And went about their day. They both digested and passed their food as well. Is this normal behavior?

starsevol
01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
It is normal behaviour.

But you should consider feeding them thawed food instead of live.
It is less expensive since you can buy bulk.
It has no parasites.
Bigger mice can fight back and do alot of damage to your snakes, so it is good to get them on thawed when they are little.
And it is kinder to the prey animals, being eaten alive HURTS.

I also really really hope your two snakes don't share a cage....

arparaspolo
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I have had snakes in the past and when feeding them I would kill the mice right before feeding to protect my snake. I don't want them getting bit. I am glad to hear it is normal behavior.

Hexadeci
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
If you think about it, the fact that a snake can safely eat a live pinky indicates it probably will, since it saves energy and reptile physiology requires them to economize energy. That said, it's a horrible way for the pinky to die, and there is risk especially as the prey size increases of a snake getting injured. So I would take the snakes' behavior as yet another reason to switch to f/t, or at least pre-killed.

arparaspolo
01-27-2012, 02:24 AM
I will definitely pre kill all mice from now on. Even the pinkies. Thank you for the advise and insight Starsevol & Hexadeci I appreciate it :D

nelshumer04
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
It's completely normal. One of my babies never constricts, she just goes right for filling up her belly. And ya, be careful with feeding live. G/f was feeding one of our adults one night and she struck at the mouse however when they both hit the floor she let go. Needless to say, mouse attacked, bit her back, and grabbed the mouse by the tail and was holding a mouse who was holding a large snake. Alot like barrel of monkeys to be honest. I like to feed live, have been told live carry more nutrients and what-not, but at this point im pretty sure that probably doesn't have much say and my brain just thinks that is true now. But regardless, when I buy adult live mice, I always try to find pregnant ones to feed the snakes. But every mouse, besides pinkies and SOME fuzzies get thrown into a plastic bag and taken outside to be taken care of before being fed. So, thawed probably a much better option, but if you go live I definitly recommend killing the mice before feeding them.

It is normal behaviour.

But you should consider feeding them thawed food instead of live.
It is less expensive since you can buy bulk.
It has no parasites.
Bigger mice can fight back and do alot of damage to your snakes, so it is good to get them on thawed when they are little.
And it is kinder to the prey animals, being eaten alive HURTS.

I also really really hope your two snakes don't share a cage....

arparaspolo
01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I take care of business withing the paper bag the mouse comes in. One swift whack and it's either knocked out or dead. Either way, it is in no shape to fight back. No harm to my snake. And I am sure the mouse never knew what hit him.

starsevol
01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
It's completely normal. One of my babies never constricts, she just goes right for filling up her belly. And ya, be careful with feeding live. G/f was feeding one of our adults one night and she struck at the mouse however when they both hit the floor she let go. Needless to say, mouse attacked, bit her back, and grabbed the mouse by the tail and was holding a mouse who was holding a large snake. Alot like barrel of monkeys to be honest. I like to feed live, have been told live carry more nutrients and what-not, but at this point im pretty sure that probably doesn't have much say and my brain just thinks that is true now. But regardless, when I buy adult live mice, I always try to find pregnant ones to feed the snakes. But every mouse, besides pinkies and SOME fuzzies get thrown into a plastic bag and taken outside to be taken care of before being fed. So, thawed probably a much better option, but if you go live I definitly recommend killing the mice before feeding them.

I am glad that you pre kill before feeding...but ugh if you feel you must feed freshly killed would you at least consider building a euthanization chamber for them? That way you can kill quite a few at once, and it is much much more humane all the way around for the mice.....
I STILL prefer thawed though...so much easier, cleaner, cheaper, and better. All mine are on thawed, and they are incredibly healthy and beautiful.

arparaspolo
01-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I will look into the chamber, but it seems that is more inhumane than a swift whack. Yes, your way sounds more humane but you are poisoning and suffocating the little guy. And what effects would that have on the snake? That to me would take longer and be more painful than one knock out hit. My way is instant and painless while yours takes much longer than that. Again, I am not saying no to the chamber as I will look into it. If it is a better way, then I might have to build one.

starsevol
01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I will look into the chamber, but it seems that is more inhumane than a swift whack. Yes, your way sounds more humane but you are poisoning and suffocating the little guy. And what effects would that have on the snake? That to me would take longer and be more painful than one knock out hit. My way is instant and painless while yours takes much longer than that. Again, I am not saying no to the chamber as I will look into it. If it is a better way, then I might have to build one.

CO2 gas is harmless to the snake. As far as being humane, the gas chamber method and cervical dislocation are the only 2 methods that are humane, listed by this organization whose name I can't seem to remember today. Shairi (Megan) I think knows what I am referring to.
With the gassing, the mice pass out immediately and die in their sleep. They aren't even afraid.

I just buy my mice the way I buy my chicken, steak and pork chops and like it that way myself :)

nelshumer04
01-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Haha I wanna buy my mice in 9oz strips!!!! Haha JK :nyah: No I definitly hear you on the humane / inhumane way of doing things. I guess I never really thought about it to be honest. I buy the mice, they go home, die 20 min later and get eaten 10 min after that. I just thought about it as a very quick, and as much of a un-painful death as possible. A few good whacks to the noggen and they are deader than a doorknob. And not to mention, in my head I just think they are literally going to be eaten alive by my snake, how much more inhumane could that be then to hit them once and they are out of their misery.

But again, I am in no way, shape or form fighting you on my opinion. In all honesty, I never really gave it a second thought because, like I said, I always just looked at it as they are being fed to my snakes as food, last thing I need to worry about it how I'm killing them before I feed them. However, I am definitly open to hearing other's sides as I am not strong-willed about this discussion, but pretty darn soon I'm just going to start saving tons of money, by switching my insurance to Geiko...and ordering bulk quantities of feeder mice.

CO2 gas is harmless to the snake. As far as being humane, the gas chamber method and cervical dislocation are the only 2 methods that are humane, listed by this organization whose name I can't seem to remember today. Shairi (Megan) I think knows what I am referring to.
With the gassing, the mice pass out immediately and die in their sleep. They aren't even afraid.

I just buy my mice the way I buy my chicken, steak and pork chops and like it that way myself :)