PDA

View Full Version : Is he going to hurt himself? and other questions

Is he going to hurt himself? and other questions

Shelliebear
01-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi all,
Skittles, my mostly-baby butter motley corn snake is a climber.
I swear he thinks he's an arboreal python of some kind.
He climbs his tank all day. All night. Won't stop. He'll lift himself up in his 10 gallon tank and wedge himself in the small space between the metal lid and the top of the tank, and crawl around inside there.
I've given him hides, he won't use them.
He keeps FALLING from the top of his tank and landing hard on the bottom.
Is he going to hurt himself? I've NEVER had a snake do this--obviously my 3 ball pythons are too big to wedge themselves between that space, and my other corn Cheesecake likes to burrow in her Aspen, not climb.
Skittles is on paper towels at the moment.

~~ Another question, as stated before Skittles is a buttler motley. Recently I noticed these purple splotches on top of his head. Anybody notice these on their butter motley?

AliCat37
01-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Nah, he won't hurt himself. He'll grow too big to fit there soon! It always scares me at night when I am sleeping and I hear someone fall.

Bartholomew
01-28-2012, 12:52 AM
He won't hurt himself. Its a phase the snakes go through when they are young. It scared me, as well, when my snake fell down but they're quite interesting/fun to watch when they're all crazy like that, haha.
Anyways, don't worry. He'll be fine!

Dee Dee
01-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Popcorn likes to climb aswell. She often climbs over & hangs off of the inside part of the slide on lock we have on her enclosure. It's cute to watch. She's been doing that for a while now & never seems to get hurt. She's also just getting into burrowing threw her aspen. So now everyday there is a new little trail to be seen where she's been digging lol.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
01-29-2012, 05:11 AM
purple? hmmmm about the only time I see any of my butters have a color like that on their heads is when they are about to shed. If you can try to get some pics, that might help :)

Dee Dee
01-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Think maybe you posted in wrong section. I can't see anything re purple on a snake here :-/

Dee Dee
01-29-2012, 05:15 AM
My mistake! Just re read. Sorry. Ignore my last comment.

Naagas
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
I have snakes that do this! I used to worry... now I just chuckle every time I hear a 'thump'.

HermesMom
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Our little guy does this too and he's got tons of other things to slither/climb on. I long for the day he won't fit up there anymore. I moved his suction cup plants a little higher so he can at least grab for them when he falls {I've seen him do that once, I'd rather he land in there} or use them for a safe/convenient way to get down without having to reach too far for something else and wipe out.