PDA

View Full Version : Mouse with tumors?

Mouse with tumors?

Wyldrose
02-01-2012, 01:57 AM
I have always wondered what peoples reaction was to feeding mice with tumors. I have been breeding mice for 5 years and have only seen 2 tumors in my stock, 1 died on the way to the petshop and the other I gave to the petshop owner for free. I usually get $1 a mouse.
I just fed my amel corn a frozen adult I purchased at petsmart, I didnt really look the mouse over, just thawed it and gave it to Heart. About half way down I noticed 2 mammary tumors. My knowlage from breeding is usually old females develop these, they are not genetic and of course cancer/tumors are not contagious.
So do you feed tumor mice to your snakes? Is there anything to suggest that they are not as healthy to a snake. I know older mice tend to have more fat then young.

Pic of Heart with the tumor mouse 1/2 way down, the 2 yellow bumps are mammary tumors

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/Pharfly/008-22.jpg

Buzzard
02-01-2012, 01:29 PM
I have had only 1 tumor that I have found in my colonies. It was an older female, as you mentioned, I just euthanized her and disposed of the body. I know there aren't risks to the snakes but... well you understand.