PDA

View Full Version : 2 year old cornsnake hasn't eaten for 3 weeks?

2 year old cornsnake hasn't eaten for 3 weeks?

laurarosedbc
02-05-2012, 04:44 PM
So my brother has had Bear for 2 and a bit years now and a few months ago my brother decided that he could give Bear the handling and attention that he needs so instead of selling him I decided I would take him, he was moved down to my room with his viv' and was due to be fed the next day. I had worried that the move might have stressed him and he might not eat but he did take the mouse as soon as I offered it to him. Now i have offered him another mouse a week later and he wouldn't take it, he showed some interest but then drew away from it, I tried him again a few days later but he still wouldn't take the mouse and now three weeks later he still hasn't eaten.
According to my brother Bear rarely misses a week and when he does he only rejects the mouse for one feed then eats as normal the next week.
Bear is fed on frozen mice and are defrosted at room temp. for about 2-3 hours as i heard this is the best way and the mouse will feel a little warm.
Also we don't know is Bear is a male or a female.

What I really need to know is whether i should be worried for if i need to take action and get to a vet or a snake expert?

BooBoo18
02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
It could be the move stressing him out. Wait 5 days then try warming up the mouse a bit more. We defrost ours in a baggie in hot water which makes it fairly toasty. That might do the trick for you.

zorro
02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Do you have a heat source for him, sometimes changes in temp will do this.
John

laurarosedbc
02-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Sandy I'll try that next time :)

John - Yeah he has a heat mat and the light in the viv' obviously heats it too and we did have some trouble getting the temp up but now its at a normal temperature and he seems active and allows me to handle him whereas at first he would flinch whenever i touched him, should i continue to handle him or leave him alone for a few days then try again?

ratsncorns
02-06-2012, 09:28 AM
He might just be looking for love!

Dakota314
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree with ratsncorns. Last year around this time my snake stopped eating for a good 4 months. Bear might just be at the age now where he/she is looking for a mate!