PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions-Impaction and Feeding

Two Questions-Impaction and Feeding

spindelberrygirl
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
So here I am, needing to ask another (Or, well, two more) questions. One is on feeding. My snakes has had trouble shedding, and hasn't eaten for about 4 weeks now. Any suggestions on what I could/should do?
Also, I've noticed said snake kind of twitching(ish) about, going from side to side with his mouth open, like when he goes to eat a mouse. I think that's his attempts to get the shed off of his face, but I can\t be sure. Anyways, when he first started I was afraid that he might swallow some of his bedding. But I, being the idiot that I am, did not do anything about it. Well, after getting home from a weekend vacation, I picked him up to see how he was doing shedding wise, and noticed something around his mouth, which was wedged open just the tiniest bit. After getting him to open his mouth, I've noticed that he's got what looks like wet dirt (I use plantation soil as bedding, although I am going to be switching it to either shredded paper or aspen) in his mouth. I'm thinking I should probably make an appointment to see a vet ASAP. Your thoughts? (AHH, I'm very panicky right now... :nope:)

RobbiesCornField
02-06-2012, 01:15 AM
This is why most people here recommend feeding in a separate tub, or putting the prey item on a plate or in a deli cup in the viv/tub.
As far as the bad shed goes, I would say put in a humid hide for him. You can also find a thread (I believe it's actually a sticky) by Nanci about what to do in case of a bad shed.

EDIT: Here's the thread I was talking about - Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170)

spindelberrygirl
02-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I do feed him in a seperate container. And I've tried what Nanci suggested, but he doesn't move around a lot while in it. But it's the having not eaten in so long, and the possibility of impaction, that worry me.

spindelberrygirl
02-06-2012, 07:27 AM
So here I am, needing to ask another (Or, well, two more) questions. One is on feeding. My snakes has had trouble shedding, and hasn't eaten for about 4 weeks now. Any suggestions on what I could/should do?

After re-reading this, I realized that I didn't make it very clear. When I asked for suggestions, I meant about him not having eaten in 4 weeks, not the shedding issue. (I've already got a topic up for that)

Carinata
02-06-2012, 07:40 AM
When I have a snake that has a bad shed, I soak it overnight in a shallow container of water. The next day, I dry the snake off and hand shed it.

I have fed literally thousands of snakes in their tub, and never experienced an issue with impaction. I would feed the snake inside the cage, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Lennycorn
02-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Your bedding should be fine since it's coconut husk fibrer. It should be more humid that aspen so shold be helpful for shed but I prefer aspen.

But as for your snake he might of gotting some in is mouth from crawling in it but since it looks soft I don't seem a problem. But recheck it's mouth and look for swelling or anything.
The twitching could be a sign of the snake in pain. Could be. So look.
Or just flighty / erratic cause it scared. ????

For now make sure the snake has something in it's cage to help rub off the shed and the level around 45ish.
I would hold off on feed or two till you figure what going on with the mouth and or it's shed.
Keep us updated.